Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Safe capacity vs. Safe advertised capacity

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Weebs, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

Just a quick rant... I just put a scope on a rifle and it reduced my safe capacity by 3!

When I bought my safe I "thought" it would be big enough... boy was I wrong.

I guess when you buy an 20 rifle capacity safe they assume you're only going to be putting marlin model 60 .22's in there with no scopes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with you there, and since I collect mostly big military rifles, that capacity has probably been reduced even more. Maybe they count the shelf on top as 'gun capacity' because you can store at least ten pistols there :) .

Keith

3. korntera

korntera Oregon Member

My safe only holds about 6 rifles out of the 10 it is claimed to hold and one of them has an eotech and one 10/22 has a cheapo small scope, nothing else and they just don't fit.

4. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I just bought the largest safe that Mountain View Safe Company sells. It is billed as a 39 gun safe. They only way you could get 39 long guns in that safe is to stack them in there like they were cord wood! This is common with ALL safe companies. I bought the safe I did because I wanted to be able to get all of my long guns, all of my handguns, and all of my ammo in the safe. It's all in there now and I still have room to spare.

One of those lessons learned. Always buy twice the safe you think you'll need.

Oh, wait. I hear my safe calling me. It's saying "feed me"! :laugh:

That.......is another problem altogether.

5. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Chit, I tried to put my Mosin Nagant in my safe and did I get a wake-up call. I guess Sentry's idea of a rifle and mine vary some.

6. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Yeah, chalk it up to marketing. :laugh:

I HAVE noticed that some safe companies, like Big Horn will sell you a 30 gun safe that is 59" x 39" x 24". Other companies sell a safe with the EXACT same dimensions and features (very likely from the same factory), but it is advertised as a 39 position safe. I know that some manufacturers say "gun" when they should say "position".

7. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

The nice thing about a Mosin...? If you run out of ammo, attach the bayonet and you still have a medium range weapon :bluelaugh: .

Keith

8. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

My new safe gets here on Tuesday. I ordered a 36-gun and my expectation is that I'll be able to get about 15-18 in there. If I get that or more, it will have exceeded my expectations.

9. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Weapon? I'll just shove the thing in the ground and use it as a base pole for a GP medium.

lol

10. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Yeah - you may be able to jam X-advertised-number of guns into a safe, but you'd end-up banging them all up.

My safe claims a capacity for 30 long-guns; I can comfortably get 14 in there & maybe have room for 1-2 more if I reorganize things. There are a bunch of slots that are facing closest to the door & I have no idea what fits there since the door intrudes on that area.

11. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

Don't let the barrels touch, they multiply in the dark!

12. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I have to stop you from spreading incorrect information to the uninformed.

It's been proven that procreation cannot occur from two barrels touching.

But they can still adopt.

Dyjital and (deleted member) like this.
  13. SquackDaddy

SquackDaddy Marion County Member

That's some funny stuff right there! :laugh: :bluelaugh: :thumbup:

14. Iceberg

Iceberg Forest Grove Active Member

I bought a 10 gun safe at Bi-Mart and it only holds 6 of my guns (3 AR-15s & 3 O/U trap & Sporting guns)....lol. I even had to take the shelf off in order to fit my trap guns in the safe. Hey, for $200 it was a great buy and it even fits in a closet. I will just have to buy another one later and put it out in the garage.

15. DSbur

DSbur Vancouver WA Member

16. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be a GOOD thing? Dang. I'm gunna set my 45 on my AR and hope for some magic to happen...

17. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

I've reduced my safe capacity even further, since I put all the long guns, except a couple, in silicone-impregnated sacks. They take up a lot more room, but, there's no safe rash.

It is a religious experience to identify them all by feel.

Bob

18. Will

Will Everett Active Member

It's much like cars... my SUV claims it seats 9 reality is 6. If the other 8 were supper models then maybe 9 is right and I would have a big grin:D

19. chiefchip

chiefchip Rainier, Oregon Member

I learned this lesson the hard way also!

20. ajf1

ajf1 beaverton Member

i would have to agree with you all on this one. It is kinda like a new garage. It is never big enough.