JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just a quick rant... I just put a scope on a rifle and it reduced my safe capacity by 3!

When I bought my safe I "thought" it would be big enough... boy was I wrong.

I guess when you buy an 20 rifle capacity safe they assume you're only going to be putting marlin model 60 .22's in there with no scopes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd have to agree with you there, and since I collect mostly big military rifles, that capacity has probably been reduced even more. Maybe they count the shelf on top as 'gun capacity' because you can store at least ten pistols there :) .

Keith

My safe only holds about 6 rifles out of the 10 it is claimed to hold and one of them has an eotech and one 10/22 has a cheapo small scope, nothing else and they just don't fit.

Just a quick rant... I just put a scope on a rifle and it reduced my safe capacity by 3!

I guess when you buy an 20 rifle capacity safe they assume you're only going to be putting marlin model 60 .22's in there with no scopes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought the largest safe that Mountain View Safe Company sells. It is billed as a 39 gun safe. They only way you could get 39 long guns in that safe is to stack them in there like they were cord wood! This is common with ALL safe companies. I bought the safe I did because I wanted to be able to get all of my long guns, all of my handguns, and all of my ammo in the safe. It's all in there now and I still have room to spare.

One of those lessons learned. Always buy twice the safe you think you'll need.

Oh, wait. I hear my safe calling me. It's saying "feed me"! :s0114:

That.......is another problem altogether.

Yeah, chalk it up to marketing. :s0114:

I HAVE noticed that some safe companies, like Big Horn will sell you a 30 gun safe that is 59" x 39" x 24". Other companies sell a safe with the EXACT same dimensions and features (very likely from the same factory), but it is advertised as a 39 position safe. I know that some manufacturers say "gun" when they should say "position".

My new safe gets here on Tuesday. I ordered a 36-gun and my expectation is that I'll be able to get about 15-18 in there. If I get that or more, it will have exceeded my expectations.

Yeah - you may be able to jam X-advertised-number of guns into a safe, but you'd end-up banging them all up.

My safe claims a capacity for 30 long-guns; I can comfortably get 14 in there & maybe have room for 1-2 more if I reorganize things. There are a bunch of slots that are facing closest to the door & I have no idea what fits there since the door intrudes on that area.

I bought a 10 gun safe at Bi-Mart and it only holds 6 of my guns (3 AR-15s & 3 O/U trap & Sporting guns)....lol. I even had to take the shelf off in order to fit my trap guns in the safe. Hey, for $200 it was a great buy and it even fits in a closet. I will just have to buy another one later and put it out in the garage.

Yeah - you may be able to jam X-advertised-number of guns into a safe, but you'd end-up banging them all up.

I've reduced my safe capacity even further, since I put all the long guns, except a couple, in silicone-impregnated sacks. They take up a lot more room, but, there's no safe rash.

It is a religious experience to identify them all by feel.

Bob

It's much like cars... my SUV claims it seats 9 reality is 6. If the other 8 were supper models then maybe 9 is right and I would have a big grin:D

I learned this lesson the hard way also!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top