JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
2A Groups Ask WA High Court to Intervene on I-1639

Two gun rights organizations based in Bellevue, Wash., have asked that state's Supreme Court to enjoin the Secretary of State from acting on Initiative 1639, a gun control measure that would change state gun law, on the grounds that petitions circulated to gather signatures did not include a "full, true, and correct copy of the proposed measure printed on the reverse side."

2A Groups Ask WA High Court to Intervene on I-1639 - Liberty Park Press

I am very happy about the suit, but am very concerned about those that could possibly be hearing the case. These are the same anti-gun, legislate from the bench activists, who upheld the Seattle gun and ammo fine. Maybe since this is procedural they will actually follow the law, but I'm not holing my breathe...............

Ray

From Alan Gottlieb, CCRKBA:

STOP INITIATIVE 1639 - ACTION PLAN

Washington State gun owners are under attack by the billionaire-financed gun prohibition lobby based in Seattle, which is now mounting the most dangerous attack on Evergreen State gun rights in history and exerting massive political pressure on Secretary of State Kim Wyman to accept faulty Initiative 1639 petitions.

Here's how Washington State's law-abiding gun owners can provide their important grassroots support to Secretary Wyman, and also fight back against this elitist campaign.

#1 – Every gun owner must contact Secretary of State Kim Wyman and officially request her to follow state law, regardless of political pressure, and reject Initiative 1639 petitions, which were not printed in accordance with statutory requirements to be "readable," and more importantly, to include a "full, true and correct copy" of the actual initiative language, as published on the Secretary of State's website. Encourage your friends and fellow hunters and gun owners to do likewise.

Initiatives that fail to adhere to state law, by underlining proposed new language and striking language (i.e. striking language) that will be deleted, cannot be allowed.

Wyman's email address is [email protected]

Be polite, brief and firm in your messages to the Secretary of State's office.

If you are a member of a local gun club, encourage your club president to immediately contact Wyman's office, on behalf of the organization, and request her to follow the law and reject the initiative signature sheets.

#2 – Messages to Kim Wyman should focus on the obvious: Everyone must follow state law, even lobbying groups funded by billionaires and other wealthy elitists. Firearms owners are expected to fully comply with the law, and that principle must apply to initiative sponsors.

Remind Secretary Wyman that I-1639 petitions did not include underlined proposed new law, nor strike-throughs (i.e. "strike throughs") eliminating current law, so they do not meet the requirement to be a "full, true and correct copy" of the measure as published on her website.

#3 – Make sure you are registered to vote. Know your legislative district, and your representatives.

#4 – Support SOS (Save Our Security.net) and encourage your shooting and hunting friends to do likewise. Likewise, support the Second Amendment Foundation and Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, two organizations headquartered right here in Washington State that are on the front lines of this battle.

The lawsuit is being brought by the Second Amendment Foundation and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. It doesn't specifically address any of the individual measures, but argues on legal technicalities.

According to the suit, the initiative contains type that is too small to read, and does not show the actual changes to law as the website does, failing to provide "a readable, full, true, and correct copy of the proposed measure printed on the reverse side of the petition."

I-1639 gun initiative reaches required signatures; opponents launch lawsuit

The court immediately threw the lawsuit out and said the Secretary of State has authority over ballot initiatives. The BS is a little thick here.

Last Edited:
From Alan Gottlieb, CCRKBA:

STOP INITIATIVE 1639 - ACTION PLAN

Washington State gun owners are under attack by the billionaire-financed gun prohibition lobby based in Seattle, which is now mounting the most dangerous attack on Evergreen State gun rights in history and exerting massive political pressure on Secretary of State Kim Wyman to accept faulty Initiative 1639 petitions.

Here's how Washington State's law-abiding gun owners can provide their important grassroots support to Secretary Wyman, and also fight back against this elitist campaign.

#1 – Every gun owner must contact Secretary of State Kim Wyman and officially request her to follow state law, regardless of political pressure, and reject Initiative 1639 petitions, which were not printed in accordance with statutory requirements to be "readable," and more importantly, to include a "full, true and correct copy" of the actual initiative language, as published on the Secretary of State's website. Encourage your friends and fellow hunters and gun owners to do likewise.

Initiatives that fail to adhere to state law, by underlining proposed new language and striking language (i.e. striking language) that will be deleted, cannot be allowed.

Wyman's email address is [email protected]

Be polite, brief and firm in your messages to the Secretary of State's office.

If you are a member of a local gun club, encourage your club president to immediately contact Wyman's office, on behalf of the organization, and request her to follow the law and reject the initiative signature sheets.

#2 – Messages to Kim Wyman should focus on the obvious: Everyone must follow state law, even lobbying groups funded by billionaires and other wealthy elitists. Firearms owners are expected to fully comply with the law, and that principle must apply to initiative sponsors.

Remind Secretary Wyman that I-1639 petitions did not include underlined proposed new law, nor strike-throughs (i.e. "strike throughs") eliminating current law, so they do not meet the requirement to be a "full, true and correct copy" of the measure as published on her website.

#3 – Make sure you are registered to vote. Know your legislative district, and your representatives.

#4 – Support SOS (Save Our Security.net) and encourage your shooting and hunting friends to do likewise. Likewise, support the Second Amendment Foundation and Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, two organizations headquartered right here in Washington State that are on the front lines of this battle.

Just sent off the email. The other stuff was taken care of prior to that.

Ray

The lawsuit is being brought by the Second Amendment Foundation and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. It doesn't specifically address any of the individual measures, but argues on legal technicalities.

According to the suit, the initiative contains type that is too small to read, and does not show the actual changes to law as the website does, failing to provide "a readable, full, true, and correct copy of the proposed measure printed on the reverse side of the petition."

I-1639 gun initiative reaches required signatures; opponents launch lawsuit

The court immediately threw the lawsuit out and said the Secretary of State has authority over ballot initiatives. The BS is a little thick here.
I was talking to one of the petition signature gathers , they where making it sound like there are 2 or 3 rates of fire for a semi auto, was also telling me about the enhanced back ground checks . they have no idea what they are talking about and when ask a simple question that does not follow their bs dodge the question and pass the buck onto someone else.

EVERYONE needs to e-mail, write and/or call the SOS's office ASAP to voice their concern about the initiative and how it violates multiple regulations. They also need to share questionable signature gathers' interactions.

Only if the SOS thinks that they won't get re-elected do we have a chance. Now is not the time to hope that someone else will take care of this situation.

In the event (unfortunately, likely) that it does make it to the ballot be sure to vote against it and get everyone you know to do so as well.

If you don't take the few minutes involved now and at the ballot then we will all suffer the consequences.

2A Groups Ask WA High Court to Intervene on I-1639

Two gun rights organizations based in Bellevue, Wash., have asked that state's Supreme Court to enjoin the Secretary of State from acting on Initiative 1639, a gun control measure that would change state gun law, on the grounds that petitions circulated to gather signatures did not include a "full, true, and correct copy of the proposed measure printed on the reverse side."

2A Groups Ask WA High Court to Intervene on I-1639 - Liberty Park Press

Done!!! Thanks for all you do Dave.:s0005:

Just received a reply from the SOS as follows:

Thank you for your comments. I value your input and appreciate you sharing your opinion in this matter.

In a ruling issued Tuesday, the Supreme Court of the State of Washington outlined the responsibility of the Office of Secretary of State to accept and evaluate initiative and referendum petitions.

No petition sheets for I-1639 have been submitted to my office as of yet.

The Office of the Secretary of State has the authority defined in RCW 29A.72.170 for accepting or rejecting initiative petitions.

Under that statute, the Secretary of State may reject petitions that do not:
  • Contain certain language required by statute, including a warning, an oath, and a place for each petitioner to provide required information;
  • Bear 259,622 or more registered voters' signatures, which are subject to verification; or
  • Meet the statutory deadline for filing with the Secretary of State.
The statute further says these are the only reasons an initiative or referendum petition can be rejected by our office. It reads: "If none of the grounds for refusal exists, the secretary of state must accept and file the petition."

As Secretary of State, it is my duty to fairly and impartially evaluate all petitions so Washington voters can fully exercise their Constitutional rights. State law clearly defines the authority my office has for accepting or rejecting petitions. We are diligent in making sure those requirements are met. That's our responsibility to every Washingtonian.​

Here's the reply I got to my email:
Thank you for your comments. I value your input and appreciate you sharing your opinion in this matter.

In a ruling issued Tuesday, the Supreme Court of the State of Washington outlined the responsibility of the Office of Secretary of State to accept and evaluate initiative and referendum petitions.

No petition sheets for I-1639 have been submitted to my office as of yet.

The Office of the Secretary of State has the authority defined in RCW 29A.72.170 for accepting or rejecting initiative petitions.

Under that statute, the Secretary of State may reject petitions that do not:

· Contain certain language required by statute, including a warning, an oath, and a place for each petitioner to provide required information;

· Bear 259,622 or more registered voters' signatures, which are subject to verification; or

· Meet the statutory deadline for filing with the Secretary of State.

The statute further says these are the only reasons an initiative or referendum petition can be rejected by our office. It reads: "If none of the grounds for refusal exists, the secretary of state must accept and file the petition."

As Secretary of State, it is my duty to fairly and impartially evaluate all petitions so Washington voters can fully exercise their Constitutional rights. State law clearly defines the authority my office has for accepting or rejecting petitions. We are diligent in making sure those requirements are met. That's our responsibility to every Washingtonian."

Seems more targeted than the typical "form" email, but there's probably an algorithm for that.

Flood her email and make it count!

Sent email, shared on our Facebook page as well...get motivated. This is a big one people, and its just one step away from their end all goal of banning semi automatic rifles all together.

[email protected]

Good afternoon Ms. Wyman,

I respectfully ask that your office look closely at the state laws and guidelines for signature petitions, and decline to approve the submission of 1639 signature sheets.

1) The petition's whole and complete ballot measure was unreadable to many people without a reading aid.

2) The petition's whole and complete ballot measure was not marked in accordance with Washington Law.

3) The petition's front page contained language that was specifically adjudicated by a Thurston County judgement regarding the language used in the initiative.

4) Signature gathers in our region were falsely making claims about the measure and current state and federal laws.

5) Signature gathers were misrepresenting the measure by misleading potential signers with other measures, and then having them sign the 1639 measure.

6) Signature gathers refused to disclose the full ballot measure to myself and others, when we requested to read them.

I'm a registered voter in the 18th district and am concerned about sanctity of our initiative process.

Thank you,

I emailed the following:

Good afternoon Ms. Wyman:

I respectfully ask that your office closely examine the state laws (RCW 29A.72.100) and guidelines for signature petitions and decline to approve the submission of I-1639 signature sheets. The following reasons are of dire concern to myself.

1) The petition's whole and complete ballot measure was unreadable to many people without a reading aid as the print was unreasonably small.

2) The I-1639 petitions did not include underlined proposed new law, nor strike-throughs eliminating current law, so they do not meet the requirement to be a "full, true and correct copy" of the measure as published on your website.

3) The petition's front page contained language that was specifically adjudicated by a Thurston County judgement regarding the language used in the initiative.

4) Signature gathers were misrepresenting the measure by misleading potential signers with other measures, and then having them sign the 1639 measure.

5) Signature gathers refused to disclose the full ballot measure to myself and others, when we requested to read them.

I'm a registered voter in 3rd Congressional district of Washington and am deeply troubled about sanctity of our initiative process.

Thank you for your time and your service to Washington State.

Ardently,

David Clark

Excellent work. Any idea when we might hear from the court/get a ruling?

One would *hope* that on top of the small print issues, if the actual content of the initiative were incorrect, this would be a 'slam dunk,' especially considering the amount of time they were given (360K signatures) and the fact that they had plenty of financial backing for true & correct copies.

In the mean time, keep your eye on the ball, and keep Spreading.The.Word.

BOSS

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads