JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For the record, I'm against helmet laws. But dang!

<broken link removed>

ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) — Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

I wonder how many of his fellow protesters wore a helmet on the ride home.

I am against helmet and seat-belt laws as well, but only on the principal that I don't believe in government restriction for the sake of protecting us from ourselves.

That being said I always wear a helmet when I ride and would continue to do so even if I could legally ride without.

Too bad, Both because of the loss of life and the political implications.

I am against helmet and seat-belt laws as well, but only on the principal that I don't believe in government restriction for the sake of protecting us from ourselves.

That being said I always wear a helmet when I ride and would continue to do so even if I could legally ride without.

Too bad, Both because of the loss of life and the political implications.

These laws have always annoyed me too. I would also continue to wear safety equipment even if it wasn't required by law.

I look at seatbelt and helmet laws not as the government protecting us from ourselves but government protecting us from stupid people who require expensive life saving medical care that everyone else has to step in and help foot the bill for.

I look at seatbelt and helmet laws not as the government protecting us from ourselves but government protecting us from stupid people who require expensive life saving medical care that everyone else has to step in and help foot the bill for.

Well guess what's going to happen with "protecting" the rest of us from "the idiots" when single payer health care fully hits home!! i.e. You can't own firearms, its too risky.

These laws aren't "protecting us from ourselves" . They are protecting the masses from paying for some idiot that didn't want to wear a helmet and fell on his head,not killing himself.

I always wore a helmet and can't understand why anyone wouldn't.Seat belt is the same.

I don't want my tax dollars to pay for some idiot to be in a wheel chair and fed through a tube for the next 30 years

That a scary president! What next, you can no longer shoot a home invader or maybe even own a gun because it costs too much to patch up bullet wounds? Restricting anyone's freedom of choice for any reason is a huge no-no in my book.

I ride have for a long time. With a couple of exceptions i always use a helmet. i have always driven with a seat-belt if they were in the car.
I don't need government telling me I have to do it.
I am opposed to mandatory helmet and seat-belt laws. I wear a helmet because i usually have a more comfortable ride.

That a scary president! What next, you can no longer shoot a home invader or maybe even own a gun because it costs too much to patch up bullet wounds? Restricting anyone's freedom of choice for any reason is a huge no-no in my book.

I assume you meant precedent, but i'll take the promotion even if I am a little scary. I don't like restricting anyone's rights either but we live in a civilized, humane society where we (tax paying, insurance carrying individuals) help foot the bill for the serious medical care required when someone stupid enough to not wear a helmet (or seatbelt) gets into even a minor accident. I'll agree with you when the next time life flight shows up at an accident scene to transport a non-helmet wearing motorcyclist or non-seatbelt wearing motorist, sees a "Don't tread on me" bumper sticker and immediately takes off and heads back to base.

I assume you meant precedent......we live in a civilized, humane society where we (tax paying, insurance carrying individuals) help foot the bill for the serious medical care required when someone stupid enough to not wear a helmet.........

I agree with you on both counts, my misspelling/improper word use and the fact that we end up paying for others stupidity.

I guess I am just one of those people who believe in the "slippery slope". It seems like every time we willingly give up one freedom be it ever so small or well intended, they are right there to take another and another.

These laws aren't "protecting us from ourselves" . They are protecting the masses from paying for some idiot that didn't want to wear a helmet and fell on his head,not killing himself.

I always wore a helmet and can't understand why anyone wouldn't.Seat belt is the same.

I don't want my tax dollars to pay for some idiot to be in a wheel chair and fed through a tube for the next 30 years

then work the change the laws so that your unconstitutional tax dollars aren't illegal appropriated to pay for others' medical bills. i HATE this line of reasoning.

see my sigline for further details.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top