Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sad Irony

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rufus, Jul 3, 2011.

1. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

For the record, I'm against helmet laws. But dang!

NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law

I wonder how many of his fellow protesters wore a helmet on the ride home.

2. saabin

saabin Eugene Active Member

I am against helmet and seat-belt laws as well, but only on the principal that I don't believe in government restriction for the sake of protecting us from ourselves.

That being said I always wear a helmet when I ride and would continue to do so even if I could legally ride without.

Too bad, Both because of the loss of life and the political implications.

3. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

I completely agree. Always were a helmet on a motorcycle and a seat-belt in a car.

4. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

These laws have always annoyed me too. I would also continue to wear safety equipment even if it wasn't required by law.

5. keystir

keystir Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I look at seatbelt and helmet laws not as the government protecting us from ourselves but government protecting us from stupid people who require expensive life saving medical care that everyone else has to step in and help foot the bill for.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Well guess what's going to happen with "protecting" the rest of us from "the idiots" when single payer health care fully hits home!! i.e. You can't own firearms, its too risky.

7. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

These laws aren't "protecting us from ourselves" . They are protecting the masses from paying for some idiot that didn't want to wear a helmet and fell on his head,not killing himself.

I always wore a helmet and can't understand why anyone wouldn't.Seat belt is the same.

I don't want my tax dollars to pay for some idiot to be in a wheel chair and fed through a tube for the next 30 years

8. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

And I never see death of an adult as sad or a tragedy. It's just part of life. The end results of our actions
    We all must die some time

9. saabin

That a scary president! What next, you can no longer shoot a home invader or maybe even own a gun because it costs too much to patch up bullet wounds? Restricting anyone's freedom of choice for any reason is a huge no-no in my book.

10. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

I ride have for a long time. With a couple of exceptions i always use a helmet. i have always driven with a seat-belt if they were in the car.
    I don't need government telling me I have to do it.
    I am opposed to mandatory helmet and seat-belt laws. I wear a helmet because i usually have a more comfortable ride.

11. keystir

keystir Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I assume you meant precedent, but i'll take the promotion even if I am a little scary. I don't like restricting anyone's rights either but we live in a civilized, humane society where we (tax paying, insurance carrying individuals) help foot the bill for the serious medical care required when someone stupid enough to not wear a helmet (or seatbelt) gets into even a minor accident. I'll agree with you when the next time life flight shows up at an accident scene to transport a non-helmet wearing motorcyclist or non-seatbelt wearing motorist, sees a "Don't tread on me" bumper sticker and immediately takes off and heads back to base.

12. saabin

I agree with you on both counts, my misspelling/improper word use and the fact that we end up paying for others stupidity.

I guess I am just one of those people who believe in the "slippery slope". It seems like every time we willingly give up one freedom be it ever so small or well intended, they are right there to take another and another.

13. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

then work the change the laws so that your unconstitutional tax dollars aren't illegal appropriated to pay for others' medical bills. i HATE this line of reasoning.

see my sigline for further details.

14. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

So accident victims should be left to die in the street?

15. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

as if that would ever be an option.