JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IN IO's defense that part is all factory communist parts and has nothing to do with IO.

To the OP you need to figure out why this happened and fix the problem. It's pretty obvious the firing pin bent after it popped out of the bolt. You need to figure out why it popped out of the bolt.

BOLT DISASSEMBLE

First, locate the pin shown in the photo on the right. Using a punch, push the pin out from this direction

The pin should come out as shown.

When this pin is removed, the firing pin should fall right now.

Welp, got a punch from work, tossed the bolt in a vise and pushed. No go. Grabbed a small hammer and tapped lightly. No go. Tapped MUCH harder. No go. Got a bigger hammer tapped really friggen hard. No go. I bet the pin is bent so I can't drive it out. I can ALMOST reinstall the firing pin by hand, so that makes sense. Buddy of mine is sending me a replacement bolt assembly. I will probably drill the retainer pin out some day when I'm bored.

ditto, almost seems like that retaining pin is what failed initially causing the firing pin to become loose.

The pin either broke or just fell out. in the former case something was seriously wrong with the pin, in the latter case there are several possibilities including a worn pin channel from numerous R & Rs, or an out of the box, out of spec bolt head

Welp, got a punch from work, tossed the bolt in a vise and pushed. No go. Grabbed a small hammer and tapped lightly. No go. Tapped MUCH harder. No go. Got a bigger hammer tapped really friggen hard. No go. I bet the pin is bent so I can't drive it out. I can ALMOST reinstall the firing pin by hand, so that makes sense. Buddy of mine is sending me a replacement bolt assembly. I will probably drill the retainer pin out some day when I'm bored.

Unless something in there is out of spec, you likely had a poorly heat treated pin or an improperly installed pin (too much force) Good idea just going with a new bolt

I was waiting for the inevitable joke about the infallible AK failing. It's fair though, most threads with an AR failing have the AK guys chiming in with jokes.

Wish I had actual info to share with you, but my experience with AK's is limited and I would have to have the gun in hand to know anything. Good luck...

Ah but the ratio of AK to AR failures is anything but directly proportional wouldnt you say??? Hence the availability of material which to direct towards the AR...

LOL

Use some caution with a new bolt, it may not head space properly.

Use some caution with a new bolt, it may not head space properly.

+1000

If you’d like to mail me your bolt I’ll get the pin out for you. If you’re set on the new bolt check the head space. It’s cheaper than a trip to the hospital. If you’re close to Oregon I’ve got gauges. I don’t lend them out but I’ll check it for you.

Elk…:drink:

The pin either broke or just fell out. in the former case something was seriously wrong with the pin, in the latter case there are several possibilities including a worn pin channel from numerous R & Rs, or an out of the box, out of spec bolt head

I'd say human error in production vs. material failure. :s0131:

+1000

If you’d like to mail me your bolt I’ll get the pin out for you. If you’re set on the new bolt check the head space. It’s cheaper than a trip to the hospital. If you’re close to Oregon I’ve got gauges. I don’t lend them out but I’ll check it for you.

Elk…:drink:

:drunk:

watch out for this guy....

:D

Odd that.... that being said and documented is infact RARE.

A lot of people shy from Commie parts... but unlike kiddie walmart toys and.... well... everything else from walmart... AKs rock. At 100 million units and counting.... and no end in sight... I dont think they are a commercial failure.

ummmmm... when is the last time you saw a Yugo (vehicle) on the road?

Exactly........

Simple fix, wish it had happened to me.

I could get the pin out. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top