JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Witness stops fleeing Mishawaka driver after he struck two girls - May 8th, 2009, 12:57

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Witness stops fleeing Mishawaka driver after he struck two girls
Sisters, ages 4 and 6, listed in critical condition

By ERIN BLASKO
Tribune Staff Writer

MISHAWAKA — Two young girls — sisters — were in critical condition late Thursday after being run down earlier in the evening. They were crossing 11th Street at Dodge Street — arm-in-arm — after playing with friends.

The driver reportedly attempted to flee, but was stopped at gunpoint by a man who witnessed the accident.

According to witnesses, the girls, ages 4 and 6, were crossing the street at 7:18 p.m. when a man traveling west on 11th Street in a blue Chevrolet Lumina struck both of them. Witnesses estimated he was traveling about 40 mph.

"No sooner had they crossed the street than I heard tires lock up and 'Boom! Boom!,' " said Alan Knepp, who was standing just up the street when the girls were hit.

Knepp said the younger girl passed quickly beneath the vehicle, but her older sister rode the hood for several seconds before falling beneath the front end and then under both driver's side tires.

The girls behind him, the driver then hit the gas, witnesses said, but stopped when Knepp, who was carrying a gun, jumped in front of the vehicle and trained his weapon on it.

Approached by Knepp, the driver reportedly said the girls jumped out in front of him. He then handed his keys to Knepp and stood silently next to his vehicle until police arrived.

The girls meanwhile, lay nearly lifeless in the road, witnesses said. The younger one initially was not breathing, and the older one's limbs and neck were badly twisted.

Fetched by a neighbor, the girls' mother arrived moments later and reportedly passed out at the sight of her daughters' motionless bodies.

Both girls were rushed by ambulance to Memorial Hospital of South Bend with critical injuries, Mishawaka Police Capt. Pasquale Rulli said. One girl was immediately admitted into surgery, he said and the other girl was flown to Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis.

Their names have not yet been released, but several witnesses said both girls attended Emmons Elementary School.

Most of 11th Street between Dodge and Union streets was taped off following the accident and the county's Fatal Alcohol Crash Team was called in to investigate. It's the Team's standard procedure to investigate serious injury and fatal accidents.

The Chevrolet Lumina involved in the crash remained parked about a half block west of where the girls were hit. At various distances behind the car, four small shoes, all pink, were lying on the asphalt.

Several witnesses said the girls, who were returning home after playing with friends, were halfway across the street when they were hit, not jumping into it, as the driver contended.

"For him to say them babies jumped out in front of him, he's a damn liar," said an emotional Danella Bishop, Knepp's wife.

"Those two little girls had their arms locked around one another and looked both ways before they crossed," said Kelly Fletcher, a friend of Bishop.

Fletcher said if not for Knepp, the driver would have fled.

"He would have kept going, dragging that little girl under his car," she said.

"The driver was taken to the police station for questioning and then released, Rulli said, and, alcohol did not appear to be a factor in the crash.

The driver's name has not been released.

<broken link removed>

I sware that jerk has been out this way. Back when I lived in a neighborhood I almost got into a very physical confrontation with an idiot driver that repeatedly tried to take my 2 little girls out with his car. He decided I was way crazier then him and drove off. Never seen him again. He drove the same kind of car FWIW. I figured he was visiting my area. He also had the very same attitude and was proclaiming they jumped out in front of him. I was watching and seen what happened.

Fletcher said if not for Knepp, the driver would have fled.

"He would have kept going, dragging that little girl under his car," she said.

I have never seriously contemplated shooting anyone, and I've drawn my weapon just once for good reason. (Further explanation another time.)

In this case, I'm not sure that driver would still be alive. I just don't know. There's no way he would have had a chance to drag that little girl...

??

$.02

f it was in California they would have locked the guy with the gun up and the driver would sue that his civilrights were violated and the state would have settled. Spad

a major part of why I will NOT move back to that insane asylum again. Other things have to do with their business climate, and their general stinkin thinkin in regards firearms, individual liberties, moral issues, not to mention the three fourths of the state south of the Kern County Line...... its bad enough I have to VISIT there once in a while. Oh, and did I mention the rotten attitudes of most of the cops I've met? A problem I don't seem to observe here, so I think I can make a case that its not ALL me.....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top