JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hate to say the threat of what might be called illegal has kept me from getting an AR pistol with arm brace, they would accuse you of possibly putting that short barrel on your rifle. So you should keep a short barrel upper attached to lower and not have it laying around as extra.

Seems even the possible intent of doing something illegal (mind crime) is cause enough to get a warrant and search your property, "for public safety reasons".

Still think those threaded oil trap ads are a scam to get probable cause for a search, they do not come on any vehicles from the factory, what else could you use them for? They have gotten search warrants for ordering a piece of metal with etching for toggle link on it, searched someone cause they watched youtube videos of oil filters being used as silencers then they ordered large oil filters online. Flimsy excuses, but they were able to find a judge to sign off on warrants.

None of this is Illegal, but we are dealing with Fascists that will do anything to get and maintain power and control over the Masses using any means necessary and will remove anything that threatens them.

Hate to say the threat of what might be called illegal has kept me from getting an AR pistol with arm brace, they would accuse you of possibly putting that short barrel on your rifle. So you should keep a short barrel upper attached to lower and not have it laying around as extra.

Seems even the possible intent of doing something illegal (mind crime) is cause enough to get a warrant and search your property, "for public safety reasons".

Still think those threaded oil trap ads are a scam to get probable cause for a search, they do not come on any vehicles from the factory, what else could you use them for? They have gotten search warrants for ordering a piece of metal with etching for toggle link on it, searched someone cause they watched youtube videos of oil filters being used as silencers then they ordered large oil filters online. Flimsy excuses, but they were able to find a judge to sign off on warrants.

None of this is Illegal, but we are dealing with Fascists that will do anything to get and maintain power and control over the Masses using any means necessary and will remove anything that threatens them.
I certainly hope if the ATF comes around my place they won't say my empty old plastic milk jugs are silencers--I may have some scrubber pads & shoelaces around here someplace too

I sometimes worry about my ex-wife in this regard. Besides being very off kilter mentally, she is very vindictive. I've had no contact with her in almost ten years though, and the way she lives I am betting I will outlive her. I also think she is probably more pre-occupied with people and things closer to her than a totally estranged ex-husband.

That said, there is nothing I have that that currently is illegal, and she would probably just get herself in trouble for making false accusations - plus she really does not have any clue about what guns I have or accessories/etc., if any. She has not had a clue what I have for many decades.
I have been in that exact position! I always knew that if my ex got her self in a legal jam her first words would be" My ex has a whole arsonal of guns and ammo!" DR

This is a really interesting case on how badly things can go wrong for you when you don't stay on top of the constantly changing ridiculous gun laws of California.

The case involves a Sacramento Metro Fire captain who is also a competition shooter, and has a sterling reputation (no run-ins with the law and plenty of people vouching for him). The part that is most concerning to me is that everything he is being criminally charged with, was legal when he purchased the item or did the act. For example he bought an 80% part that would make a Glock full auto. This was completely legal to purchase at the time he did so. Further, he never machined the part and never installed it in a gun. He simply had it in his safe and somewhere along the way the state made the actual part illegal to possess. He also inscribed his own serial number into an 80% gun he built. At the time there were no laws against this but since the time he did it, the state has mandated that you have to serialize 80% gun builds with a serial number provided by the state.

There's a very big lesson here on staying on top of changing laws...and maybe also not cooperating so readily when the ATF comes knocking and wants to look in your safe...but then again, you know they'll be back with a warrant and a locksmith. But with all the real crimes going on in our world, making an example out of this guy is messed up IMO.

Derik Oakes has a warning for gun owners: you could be next.

The fire captain from Sacramento made headlines last month after a local media outlet got wind of multiple felony charges leveled against Oakes related to his ownership of illegal "assault weapons." The ATF had gotten involved, and rumors surfaced about "machine guns," "Uzi's," and "fake serial numbers." It was a juicy story for the outlet, especially since its protagonist was a public servant living in a $1 million home in suburban Sacramento.

But so far, Oakes hasn't played the part of the underground gun runner or secret militia member. In fact, he isn't contesting any of the charges leveled against him by the district attorneys in California's El Dorado County.

When California Highway Patrol and ATF agents knocked on his door in July of 2019 looking for illegal machine gun parts, he opened his gun safe and let them rifle through his belongings. When they asked him if he owned the illegal "assault weapons" they found, he admitted to owning the rifles, though he argues that they're still constitutionally protected items. When they asked him about an unfinished part that allows a Glock to fire in fully automatic mode, he admitted to purchasing it and said he would have freely surrendered it.

Well it is CA. So I have to wonder why he would buy even an 80% part to turn the G-17 into a G18. This is pushing things in any state. Due it in CA? Not me.
As to the rest, as mentioned he should have taken more care. Also for the ATF to show up at his door? I have to guess he was doing something to get their attention. Sadly the way media is there is no way to really know how much of this is really true and how much is made up.

Oh this the guy thet played dumb about making his own serial numbers and changing them at will on his guns to his gfs birthday?
A LOT of gun owners play "lets push the line" with the ATF. To me its a poor game to play. I do not like a lot of the crap they come up with but, there is a right way to fight it and a wrong way. To me pushing the limit is wrong but, too each his own and all. I have some 80% that I really had a lot of fun making. If they say no more? I will just destroy them. If I ever want to sell one? I will sell the parts and destroy the lower if I don't want it. Many think me foolish to do so and they are welcome to their opinion. I choose to not push it with state or Fed laws. I may not like them but I also do not want to make a test case out of myself. :s0092:

I didn't see where he invited the ATF into his life. Why did they suspect that he had the parts?
Who knows. You can't believe anything the media puts out so unless we hear from someone who actually knew him well there is no way to know. From past experience though 99.9% sure he was doing something to get their attention. A LOT of gun owners play fast and loose with the law. Often people will do it all their lives and never get into a jam. Now and then one of them does. Its why I have long told people its not worth pushing the limits on this stuff. For those who choose to live in a state like CA its even more important to keep track of the laws. Way too many gun owners expect "someone else" to do the heavy lifting. Can't even be bothered to watch what is going on with law makers. Until something hits them.
I have often heard from a few who fight in CA lamenting that there is millions of legal gun owners there. That if they could get even a couple million of them to vote as a block? They could really make headway. Instead what they get is a whole lot of "I can't be bothered" WA and OR have the same problem.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top