JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Warning: site requires allowing ads

Q: I vacillate back and forth on whether to post this kind of article in this sub-forum or the general discussion forum

I opted for this sub because it is about someone who is charged with breaking federal and state gun laws. If I am wrong, mods please move it where you see fit? Thanks for your patience.

Oakes has been urging prosecutors to consider his two decades of service and his lack of a criminal record and cut him a break.
Already rolling over and whining. I wonder how far any of us would get with this one

"The defendant claimed he thought it was legal to add his own serial numbers and change them because he built them himself,"
He 'thought' it was legal? Well, 'thought' ain't a very good defense -pretty weak considering his pretty good background and knowledge of firearms already.

My bet is that he showed someone his firearms, and/or talked to someone about them, and got turned in either by someone who thought it best or who had a grievance with him. How many people can keep a secret? One; the person who the secret is about.

Article mentions his purchase of the glock auto switches are what prompted the investigation.

It was one gun part in particular that first brought federal agents to Oakes' home in Rescue two years ago.

Oakes purchased two "80% Glock Auto Switch" kits that can be used to convert a semi-automatic Glock handgun to fully automatic — making them an illegal machine gun under federal law, according to the ATF.

Article mentions his purchase of the glock auto switches are what prompted the investigation.

It was one gun part in particular that first brought federal agents to Oakes' home in Rescue two years ago.

Oakes purchased two "80% Glock Auto Switch" kits that can be used to convert a semi-automatic Glock handgun to fully automatic — making them an illegal machine gun under federal law, according to the ATF.
I have a threaded adapter that CAN be used to make a solvent trap. But I have not used it for such. Should I rid myself of it???

My bet is that he showed someone his firearms, and/or talked to someone about them, and got turned in either by someone who thought it best or who had a grievance with him. How many people can keep a secret? One; the person who the secret is about.
How many people can abuse the new anti-gun/red flag laws when they want to hurt someone that they have/had a beef with? hmmmm.. :rolleyes:
(but the anti-gunners know this and that is why the law can be manipulated to get the result the gun grabbers want).

Ok, I missed that. I would love to have a giggle switch, but even if I decided to risk it (which I would not), I would never buy a "kit" in any way that could be traced back to me (which is what I assume he did).

How many people can abuse the new anti-gun/red flag laws when they want to hurt someone that they have/had a beef with? hmmmm.. :rolleyes:
(but the anti-gunners know this and that is why the law can be manipulated to get the result the gun grabbers want).
I sometimes worry about my ex-wife in this regard. Besides being very off kilter mentally, she is very vindictive. I've had no contact with her in almost ten years though, and the way she lives I am betting I will outlive her. I also think she is probably more pre-occupied with people and things closer to her than a totally estranged ex-husband.

That said, there is nothing I have that that currently is illegal, and she would probably just get herself in trouble for making false accusations - plus she really does not have any clue about what guns I have or accessories/etc., if any. She has not had a clue what I have for many decades.

I sometimes worry about my ex-wife in this regard. Besides being very off kilter mentally, she is very vindictive. I've had no contact with her in almost ten years though, and the way she lives I am betting I will outlive her. I also think she is probably more pre-occupied with people and things closer to her than a totally estranged ex-husband.

That said, there is nothing I have that that currently is illegal, and she would probably just get herself in trouble for making false accusations - plus she really does not have any clue about what guns I have or accessories/etc., if any. She has not had a clue what I have for many decades.
Does it really matter what you/I/we have? all someone has to do now is mention "gun" or "gun parts" and that's enough for the Gestapo to come take your property.

Does it really matter what you/I/we have? all someone has to do now is mention "gun" or "gun parts" and that's enough for the Gestapo to come take your property.
I think it matters when the time comes to go to court.

Sure the ATF can spend 10 hours in a machine shop and convert our guns to full auto and then claim that makes them "machine guns" and that we broke the law, but that is something different from having a "giggle switch" or a "fuel filter", etc. that is more clearly something that should have a tax stamp.

Also, the ATF is not very interested in someone who has a red flag order against them, plus my ex would have a really hard time getting such an order as I won't even reply to her attempt to contact me via FB PMs. Indeed, she has a criminal record, and if anybody can be accused of harassment, it is her.

And that is a good reason to ensure one abides by the law and does not knowingly break the law by buying things such as a 'giggle switch' ( I really don't understand that term for it - shooting a Glock FA wouldn't make me 'giggle) OR - by buying or possessing anything illegal gun related.
Also, the ATF is not very interested in someone who has a red flag order against them, plus my ex would have a really hard time getting such an order as I won't even reply to her attempt to contact me via FB PMs.
As long as you haven't given her any reason to even consider it you should have nothing to worry about - and you should continue to not make contact or respond to her if you have no reason to do so.

And that is a good reason to ensure one abides by the law and does not knowingly break the law by buying things such as a 'giggle switch' ( I really don't understand that term for it - shooting a Glock FA wouldn't make me 'giggle) OR - by buying or possessing anything illegal gun related.

As long as you haven't given her any reason to even consider it you should have nothing to worry about - and you should continue to not make contact or respond to her if you have no reason to do so.
I gave her reasons - 40 years ago, and being who she is, she will never forgive me for it, nor let me forget - not to mention making up stuff that I did not do, or twisting what I did do into something else.

I think it matters when the time comes to go to court.
I'm not sure the courts have earned that much faith. But they sure have lost credibility with their decisions in defiance of the constitution.

Unfortunately, I also haven't seen many due process protections against false claims in many of these hastily passed red flag laws.

Your sentiment sounds like the very thing I eluded to in the link that I posted... :eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top