JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a used rifled barrel for my shotgun. It's nice but has what I THINK is plastic residue "stuck" to the inside of the barrel. It's not a war stopper, but I'd like to remove it just so it doesn't build up even more thru use. I've tried everything in my cleaning cabinet, including Lacquer Thinner, ammonia, Shooters Choice, Hoppes #9, yadda yadda. Wire brushes on a drill motor won't take it out. Anyone have any ideas? I sure would appreciate any advice.

You know, you could just try heating up the barrel, either shooting it or maybe try baking it in the oven at the lowest setting for a bit, then trying the wire brush w/ hoppes. I have no idea if this would work, but it is one way of getting rid of cosmoline that I've heard of.

a little searching on a shotgun forum came up with a few answers. The most common ones were acetone, wd40, naptha, or carb cleaner. All can ruin the finish on wood furniture and some may remove or stain bluing and some other finishes. "supposedly" after 5 min to an hour after a good spray down when you look down the bore you will see plastic residue strips hanging off the insides and a few passes with the brush will remove it - just remember to run a patch or two of your favorite solvent down the barrel after you scrub out the plastic as WD40 and the other listed items are not a longer term protectant

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top