JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I recently picked up a beautiful 1873 SAA revolver. This is my first revolver without a transfer bar. I know the standard line of "load one, skip one, load four" so the hammer rests on an empty chamber.

Since Colt has the four clicks there are actually two safeties.

#1 is the first click which takes the hammer off the cartridge
#2 The use of the safety pin

So my question is this: if the first click safety (or use of safety bar) is used, if the holster has a hammer loop, then why load five? Why not six?

For those that have real world experience is it safe to load six?

I do not like to use the "safety pins" , found on some SAA clones or Cap and Ball revolvers...
In my experience it can accelerate wear on the cylinder hand and spring...and may have the revolver go out of "time".

In many cases with copies or near copies of antique firearms...it may be best to do things the way they were done when the firearm was "new" and the only type around.

Load with 5 and don't use the so called safety pins....would be my advice.
Andy

I do not like to use the "safety pins" , found on some SAA clones or Cap and Ball revolvers...
In my experience it can accelerate wear on the cylinder hand and spring...and may have the revolver go out of "time".

In many cases with copies or near copies of antique firearms...it may be best to do things the way they were done when the firearm was "new" and the only type around.

Load with 5 and don't use the so called safety pins....would be my advice.
Andy

Are you referring to Uberti's floating firing pin style, the transfer bar style, or both?

Hey Folks,

I recently picked up a beautiful 1873 SAA revolver. This is my first revolver without a transfer bar. I know the standard line of "load one, skip one, load four" so the hammer rests on an empty chamber.

So my question is this: if the first click safety (or use of safety bar) is used, if the holster has a hammer loop, then why load five? Why not six?

My historical understanding why they would load 5 is because if you drop the firearm it might go off. So if you're going to carry it be smart to only load to 5. If you're just going to plink around then it doesn't matter.

Hey Folks,

Skip to 2:55 mark

There is an old saying, You never want to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after you!
There were enough Cowboys that shot themselves in the leg that this became known as Cowboy Leg! When you are saddling your horse Most take the heavy wooden stirrup and hang it over the saddles horn to keep it up and out of the way. Because of where you had to stand to cinch the saddle and tie it on, IF the stirrup slipped off there was a high percentage chance it would land on the hammer of the cowboys gun. Bang!

This old saying has held true for more modern guns too! We also have Garand Thumb and Glock Leg! DR

I appreciate everyone's feedback. The video was helpful. I picked up a Cimarron Pistolero which is a true "four click" copy of the 1873 SAA (pin on the hammer and everything). I always like to do research and don't just take "that's the way it's always been done" as an answer. Looks like I'll be loading five to carry. Thank, folks!

45C841F0-706C-423B-80ED-450EE359578C.jpeg

Beautiful gun!

Yep, there was a reason for that old adage and it is one that you'll want to follow.

Just as an FYI, the problem that caused the adage has been addressed a few different ways. Uberti uses a floating firing pin in the hammer:

And Ruger uses a transfer bar:
Dang! I didn't know that about the Uberti. I wonder if my Pistolero uses the same technology....

I do have a Ruger Wrangler that uses the transfer bar. It's the most fun you can have under $200

Hey Folks,

Go to the Colt forum and ask. It has always been load 5. No safe way around that. No "safety notch", no firing pin between chambers, no center pin. Dropped revolvers always hit hammer first.

True Story:
My father's Air Force Commander (a Colonel), retired happily in Lewistown, Montana. He owned an early FJ40 Landcruiser and a Ruger Blackhawk (3 screw, old model) in .357.
Had the pistol in its holster, on a gun belt and hanging from the roll bar of the Cruiser.
Traversing some rough country, he hit a ditch harder than he'd planned, but the Cruiser did what they do, and bounced over and out of it. Hard enough to rattle anything loose in the cab (and make a lot of noise during the bounce...he thought).
Driving on a little further, he felt something warm in his lap, he said, "Like I'd pissed myself."
Looked down and the seat was pooled with blood. Then he saw the hole in the dashboard. Then he saw the hole in his abdomen. Then he reached around back and found a hole there too.
That .357 slug out of the pistol that fired when it hit the floor hammer-first, had entered the steel backing of the Cruiser seat, went through the upholstery, through the Colonel, through the dashboard and firewall, and was later found lodged against the engine block.
The Colonel drove himself to the hospital. Made it okay.

Congratulations UnionMillsNW on the recent purchase. I love my SAA's and reload a ton for them. My newest is a "charcoal blue" color in .45 Colt and find it pretty accurate. For sure, load one, skip that next hole and load four.

Have fun!

If you drop the firearm with a roind under the hammer (even in the first hammer notch position) it can go off. Notch is not that strong, and it is very easy for the hammer to break past it.
Elmer Keith said stirrups hitting the hammer while saddling caused them to go off pretty often.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top