Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SA Range Officer Ransom Rested

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by saread, Mar 14, 2011.

1. saread

saread Bothell, WA Member

Got out to the range today and put my RO in a Ransom Rest for some ammo trials. First up is some 200 gr hardball with 4.6 gr of Bullseye, not very awe inspiring:

springer46.jpg

Next up is something more inline with an actual target load, 200 LSWC with 3.8 gr Bullseye, a little more like what we're looking for:

springer38.jpg

Lastly, we change the previous load to 200 gr LSWC and 4.0 gr Bullseye, now we're talking something we can work with:

springer40.jpg

I'm going to drop in a new bushing and work up some other load combinations and we'll give this another try down the road. Not too bad for a sub $800 gun and definitely a good base gun.

2. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member

That's what we want to see, big ragged holes in that paper!

3. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Not bad for a production gun!!

4. ron

ron Vancouver, Washington Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I have used the load of 4 grains of Bullseye behind the 200 swc for many years. This is my target load with enough power to operate a 1911 without changing springs. I have used this load in falling plate matches and steel matches. What pistol are you using?

5. saread

Springfield Armory Range Officer. Stock - for now. Ransom Rest work was to baseline the gun to see how future mods come out.

6. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

According to the boys in the "does anyone care about Glock" thread, your gun shouldn't feed a SWC bullet.:laugh:

I've seen the Range Officer advertisements and thought it looked like it would be a good pistol. Sure looks like it shoots well.

7. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

Did the range hqve the rest of is it your own. I woould really like to bench test my pistol.

8. saread

Yes, it was at Kenmore. I don't know if you can get to use the rest if you're not a member. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

9. olyshoots

olyshoots Vancouver USA Member

Nice work there. Pretty good accuracy for the price. Not every production gun brand can do that.

10. saread

I did a little work to my RO and had some time for load development. Back to the ransom rest for some 5 shot groups at 25 yards. I shot the range of loads I had, and then repeated the process to be sure that the results were repeatable. The powder was Bullseye and the bullet was a 200 gr. LSWC. The results of the exercise are below:

4.4 gr. Bullseye
    44a.jpg 44b.jpg

4.2 gr. Bullseye
    42a.jpg 42b.jpg

4.0 gr Bullseye
    40a.jpg 40b.jpg

3.8 gr. Bullseye
    38a.jpg 38b.jpg

3.6 gr. Bullseye
    36a.jpg 36b.jpg

Looks like 3.6 gr. of Bullseye will work just fine for this gun.