JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
There are a few smiths that I've been trying to find, the one requirement is that they must not have a lock, I'm looking for the following models;

627 (8 shot)
625 Mountain gun
686 plus
625-2 3" (.45acp)

A few that are not high priority, but am still interested in;
hand eject
any other I-frames
Another 686 4" 6 shot perhaps (the junkier the better)
629 4"

Bummer:(. I can't help you out. All I have left that I would get rid of is a 19-4 2", and I can see that it is not on your list. Good luck and I will keep my eye out for your list. Mike

Bummer:(. I can't help you out. All I have left that I would get rid of is a 19-4 2", and I can see that it is not on your list. Good luck and I will keep my eye out for your list. Mike

I am looking for a 19 as well, but its not as high on my list since they are easier to find.

curious, why do you not want the lock?

Well besides the documented failure related to locks, S&W quality control has gone downhill since being taken over by Saf-T-Hammer. They have found many different ways to cut corners, included many MIM parts, also they consider looser tolerances acceptable. Finishes have gone south as well, their generic blued, stainless, and nickle guns just don't have the appearance of older guns. (this is with the exception of Performance Center built guns, which are put together well and have great finishes)

A good comparison is series I kimbers compared to series II.

So all in all, guns built before the Saf-T takeover, are usually built with much higher standards and quality, and with better materials. Also they are more desirable because their value is constantly increasing, unlike current production guns, which anyone could go to a shop and buy.

I jacked this picture from wikipedia, but it is an example of a lock failure (note trigger and hammer position);

If this had happened, however unlikely, in a defensive situation, the user could have lost their life. Any unnecessary part of a firearm that causes failures in my mind is a hindrance.

Well the current pre-locks are still built better than any current non-lock is going to be :D

Given my new 642 no-lock experience, I can attest to that! Although, they did get it right. Eventually...

I will say that, so far, I've been happy with my 686 lock gun. I guess time will tell whether it malfunctions.

The good news is that according to S&W, they will be phasing out locks on their revolvers sometime soon.

You sure? This has been discussed on the s&w forums quite a bit, and I was under the impression that locks are here to stay. Saf-T-hammer and s&w are intertwined.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3001000143/m/9661012713?r=9661012713#9661012713

Regardless, I'm a big smith fan and have accumulated quite a few, just recently I've picked up both a 940 and 547 (only two 9mm smith wheelguns made), a 686-5 power port, and a 5-screw m&p transitional. Honestly, I'm to the point where I'm growing out of my gun safe, and might have to shop for a bigger one. Now to sell that to the Mrs.....

You sure? This has been discussed on the s&w forums quite a bit, and I was under the impression that locks are here to stay. Saf-T-hammer and s&w are intertwined.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3001000143/m/9661012713?r=9661012713#9661012713

Regardless, I'm a big smith fan and have accumulated quite a few, just recently I've picked up both a 940 and 547 (only two 9mm smith wheelguns made), a 686-5 power port, and a 5-screw m&p transitional. Honestly, I'm to the point where I'm growing out of my gun safe, and might have to shop for a bigger one. Now to sell that to the Mrs.....

Saf-T owns S&W. But according to this article; Massad Ayoob. "S&W Gives its Customers What They Want". American Handgunner. Mar-Apr 2009.

"Smith & Wesson announced in March, 2009, that it would begin phasing the internal lock out of its revolver lineup"

I have yet to read the article, but I just found the quote somewhere.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.