Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

S&Ws that I'm looking for

Discussion in 'Handguns Wanted' started by PhysicsGuy, Mar 26, 2009.

1. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

There are a few smiths that I've been trying to find, the one requirement is that they must not have a lock, I'm looking for the following models;

627 (8 shot)
    625 Mountain gun
    686 plus
    625-2 3" (.45acp)

A few that are not high priority, but am still interested in;
    hand eject
    any other I-frames
    Another 686 4" 6 shot perhaps (the junkier the better)
    629 4"

2. jeffcohen

jeffcohen Mulino Or. Member

How about a 686 4" with lazer grips?

3. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

He already has at least one sweet 4" m686 that I know of. :)

In fact I contemplated taking tire iron to the back of his head when he wasn't looking the other day and sneaking off with it. Just kidding...or am I? :D ;)

4. PhysicsGuy

As playboy said, I already have a 686, but I have been trying to convince him to get one :D

5. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I have one...it is just the snubbie version. I need a good 4" one of these days. :)

Edit: Duh! I have two. I also have the m686 SSR in 4" that I just bought a few weeks ago. :eek:

6. 57chevy

57chevy Hillsboro Member

Bummer:(. I can't help you out. All I have left that I would get rid of is a 19-4 2", and I can see that it is not on your list. Good luck and I will keep my eye out for your list. Mike

7. PhysicsGuy

I am looking for a 19 as well, but its not as high on my list since they are easier to find.

8. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

curious, why do you not want the lock?

9. PhysicsGuy

Well besides the documented failure related to locks, S&W quality control has gone downhill since being taken over by Saf-T-Hammer. They have found many different ways to cut corners, included many MIM parts, also they consider looser tolerances acceptable. Finishes have gone south as well, their generic blued, stainless, and nickle guns just don't have the appearance of older guns. (this is with the exception of Performance Center built guns, which are put together well and have great finishes)

A good comparison is series I kimbers compared to series II.

So all in all, guns built before the Saf-T takeover, are usually built with much higher standards and quality, and with better materials. Also they are more desirable because their value is constantly increasing, unlike current production guns, which anyone could go to a shop and buy.

I jacked this picture from wikipedia, but it is an example of a lock failure (note trigger and hammer position);

If this had happened, however unlikely, in a defensive situation, the user could have lost their life. Any unnecessary part of a firearm that causes failures in my mind is a hindrance.

10. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

WOW, good to know!!!

I'll definitely remember to check for locks on any S&Ws I come across.

11. PhysicsGuy

The good news is that according to S&W, they will be phasing out locks on their revolvers sometime soon.

12. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

That's very good to hear. Although, it makes my 686 w/ lock worth less. I'd guess that S&W lock guns will be pretty cheap if they got back to no-lock.

13. PhysicsGuy

Well the current pre-locks are still built better than any current non-lock is going to be :D

14. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Given my new 642 no-lock experience, I can attest to that! Although, they did get it right. Eventually...

I will say that, so far, I've been happy with my 686 lock gun. I guess time will tell whether it malfunctions.

15. PhysicsGuy

List updated (added a few more)

16. browntown

browntown Salem, Oregon, United States Active Member

You sure? This has been discussed on the s&w forums quite a bit, and I was under the impression that locks are here to stay. Saf-T-hammer and s&w are intertwined.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3001000143/m/9661012713?r=9661012713#9661012713

Regardless, I'm a big smith fan and have accumulated quite a few, just recently I've picked up both a 940 and 547 (only two 9mm smith wheelguns made), a 686-5 power port, and a 5-screw m&p transitional. Honestly, I'm to the point where I'm growing out of my gun safe, and might have to shop for a bigger one. Now to sell that to the Mrs.....

17. PhysicsGuy

Saf-T owns S&W. But according to this article; Massad Ayoob. "S&W Gives its Customers What They Want". American Handgunner. Mar-Apr 2009.

"Smith & Wesson announced in March, 2009, that it would begin phasing the internal lock out of its revolver lineup"

I have yet to read the article, but I just found the quote somewhere.

18. PhysicsGuy

Also I found two absolutely beautiful smiths that I want today, now I just need to run to the bank to get $$$

Pics coming later

19. PhysicsGuy

bump, have gotten a 624 and 15 so far.

20. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

How can I tell if a Smith has a lock? Or it is all dependent on date of manufacture to determine lock status?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.