JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Could have sworn I saw that CMMG drop-in on sale last week. I don't know where. It may have been mentioned here.
Yeah.. normal pricing these days on those CMMG's is almost prohibitive, for what they are, IMHO. If you don't get a really outstanding deal I don't know if they are really worth the cost. The 2 we've been running where about $125 with 3-25rnd mags... back when the going rate was around $200. This last one for the dedicated build, with the collar adapter, I picked up from RTB when they were on sale and an additional 20% off when they were liquidating stock for their move to Florida. Came out to $160 with 3-25rnd'ers.

A collar adapter alone isn't exactly cheap ($45-$50) and would have burned up one of the AR drop ins to do a dedicated. Either that or having to swap the adapter (PITA) and put the dedicated out of commission. Paying $160 for the dedicated and more mags seemed to make more sense then paying $50, no additional mags and putting an upper out of commission on occassion. It seemed fair at that price so I sucked it up and got the new 3rd for the build. From what I've seen over the years, a decent sale price isn't all that uncommon if you can be patient.

With grandkids up and coming, one AR 22lr platform just isn't enough. 🤣

(At least that's the justification I used in my mind to make myself feel better about dropping coin on another)

Last Edited:
I would buy a Tippman AR 22lr instead. Much better design.
Agree! I have one. The appeal of the Tippman is that it builds exactly like a standard AR. What I mean is the store in Washington that I bought mine from talked Tippman into selling a unassembled (lower) version so WA residents could buy and use same day. Tippmans lowers allow for any AR trigger on the market to drop in. Mine is a M-lok version full top rail. Check out the reviews. I paid $600. Also I was able to get all spare springs, pins and parts and a spare BCG at Tippman for approximately $150 to keep it running for years to come.

Agree! I have one. The appeal of the Tippman is that it builds exactly like a standard AR. What I mean is the store in Washington that I bought mine from talked Tippman into selling a unassembled (lower) version so WA residents could buy and use same day. Tippmans lowers allow for any AR trigger on the market to drop in. Mine is a M-lok version full top rail. Check out the reviews. I paid $600. Also I was able to get all spare springs, pins and parts and a spare BCG at Tippman for approximately $150 to keep it running for years to come.

Is the Tippmann bolt scaled down like the 15-22, or is it larger, like the CMMG?

Wow I didn't realize those were so expensive. My 15-22 plus binary trigger only totaled $540. Tipping is probably a lot heavier duty than the 15-22 though. The 15-22 feels like plastic toy gun to me. But it's a necessary evil to get the 600 round per minute fire rate.

Last Edited:
I paid $600.
....for approximately $150 to keep it running...
From the OP... and talking not about what might be the "best" AR 22lr, but "affordable"... I would still consider $600+ for a proprietary platform pretty darn expensive. Just sayin... ;)

My reply to Ktgee asking for a true AR .22LR platform in the $5 to $600 price range stands. For me this firearm represented the closest AR to AR platform to train with. Basically you get what you pay for.

I always recommend at least upgrading the 15-22 extractor to a Volquartsen one. There are others, but VQ is what I use and is my go to extractor for the 15-22. Plus, it's a quality part that runs like $12.
Agree I have read that in so many places that I ordered one. Haven't had a need to install it yet though but will someday.

I see them online for around $400-$450. But I'd rather build a dedicated .22 on a milspec lower than can still be switched for other calibers quicky.
Agreed. Besides.. you can't get much closer to a AR-style 22lr than an actual AR platform. Toss in the cost savings and non-proprietary aspect... sounds like a no-brainer. ;)

Speaking of NW Armory, a quick search on their website produced this…..
That's the best price I've seen in a couple of years, at least in the Northwest. đź‘Ť

One of the few things they do let us have in Cailfornia ,but they only come with a 10rd Mag.. I did get quite a few Standard 25rd mags during what we called down here "FREEDOM WEEK' .

15-22.jpg

It's on my short list, I've never actually seen one in a FFL though, only the GSG's. I'd love to put on a fixed stock and live out my MP5 fantasies lol
Reliability on them is excellent. You can change the speed of the bolt with just an Allen wrench. Accuracy is not that great and trigger is poor out of the box. Trigger spring upgrade kit from hk parts helps. Fun guns once the trigger is improved. I have 2 MP5s 22s, an hk 416 22 braced pistol, and used to have a colt m4 22 rifle.

They are all made in the same Walther factory and have the same trigger group, bolt, etc. all have been extremely reliable. Beretta arx 160 22, g36 22, and some others I can't remember have the same basic design and made in the same factory too. Not sure about the uzi 22 but maybe that one too.

60B223C1-F7A8-4D15-B38E-8071E29A8137.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads