JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One more time, Smith & Wesson or Ruger?
Any question?
View attachment 480419
Note: Many pine cones were injured or killed while shooting these today!

Any questions?
GEDC0015_zps34c3149c.jpg

The answer is really not so easily cut and dried. In the Seventies and Eighties, my choice for a DA revolver was, and still is Ruger. Now, with the GP100 as Rugers DA option, I place it behind the modern S&W's, but not by far. The old Security/Speed Sixes are still in first place.:cool:

Last Edited:
...a Smith can be repaired by anyone who is relatively mechanically inclined and has even minimal experience with guns...
And can be royally screwed up by somebody with "minimal experience with guns" to the point that a fine handgun becomes a paperweight and nothing more. It becomes a paperweight because they are too embarrassed to take it to a real Pistolsmith to have it done right.

And can be royally screwed up by somebody with "minimal experience with guns" to the point that a fine handgun becomes a paperweight
Possibly - I was giving due respect to those who MIGHT have the ability to work on a Smith but then what's right for me isn't necessarily the best for 'others'.

As I've said previously, I like both Smiths and Rugers and often not for the same reasons. BUT: Anything that needs sling swivels, you probably might as well get a rifle. Those fugly features on the 460, shown above, some relate to the very idea that you might as well "go rifle." Built in scope rail, muzzle compensator, long bbl., sling swivels. S&W went nuts with these big boys; the .500, if I see one of those at the range, I get as far away as possible. Just my opinion.

Which brings me to another idea. Compensators on many rifles have come into fashion. The kind that direct the blast diagonally back away from the muzzle - and into the face of the shooter at the next bench. They will literally blow your krap off the bench, have had it happen. These days, I walk the line first and see what's being used next to the vacant benches before taking a seat.

Getting back to guns--so the transfer bar in the Rugers screws up the trigger?

In my experience, yes. I'm not an engineer, but there are more moving parts, less precision in the design of the device. But my guess is that the transfer bar design won't go goofy on you like the S&W older kind will, e.g., "hammer push off." Less precise, more rugged, edge on safety. And my guess also is, adopted for liability purposes and not to enhance precision shooting. I remember reading somewhere that Sturm, Ruger paid a royalty to HRA for using this design.

Actually, I believe what you are referring to is a hammer block system, not a transfer bar. They've been putting them in revolvers since the mid 1940's. They're intended to block the hammer from engaging the primer unless the trigger is held all the way back.

+1. The two different designs do the same thing but in different ways. The S&W hammer block allows the action to retain the precision and feel that the transfer bar system lacks.

One thing that annoys me about the SP101 is that you have to remove the trigger group to remove the cylinder. It looks clunky, but I like it, but I didn't buy one for looks. I bought a Ruger SP101 to take a beating and always perform. They did have an oversight as to convenience of takedown, but the gun is solid and accurate.

If you want something to look at and works well, buy a Colt. If you can't afford that, buy S&W and you will have something to look at, or buy Ruger and have something that performs well. Unless you're buying a single action revolver, Ruger's aesthetic isn't worth writing home about.

When I was buying my first 357 revolver I went to Keith's and set the Smith and the Ruger side by side and handled both. The Ruger felt better in my hand so that is what when home with me. GP 100 6" short shroud barrel. Go handle both and get the one that feels right to you. They are both great firearms.

S&W or Ruger
View attachment 480650View attachment 480651

I'll take the Ruger (mine shown). Not all S&Ws are good looking just like not all Rugers are blocky and ugly. S&W made some dogs, especially their pro-shop models.
I am a Smith and Wesson guy but will say that they have been coming up with some really Ugly guns lately. That and the extra hole in the side have really turned me off the newer guns.

I am a Smith and Wesson guy but will say that they have been coming up with some really Ugly guns lately. That and the extra hole in the side have really turned me off the newer guns.
Don't get me wrong, if someone gave me or sold me an older Model 29 for a reasonable price, I wouldn't turn it down. They are one of S&Ws best handling and looking, and not just hype from Dirty Harry movies.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top