Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

S&W SW1911 "E" Series

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Iceberg, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Iceberg

Iceberg Forest Grove Active Member

What do you guys think about the new "E" series 1911 from S&W? My buddy who is a pretty hard core S&W guy, picked one up this weekend at an Oregon show & is pretty happy w/ his score. I do think they look pretty cool w/ the fish scales, but I still have a tough time accepting S&W non-traditional 1911s w/ their external extractors. How do they compare in quality & performance to Springfield Armory or Kimber products?

Model SW1911 "E" Series, .45 ACP MSRP $919.00
    Eseries.jpg

2. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

I picked one up Saturday. The fit and finish is really top rate. I couldn't find any errant machining marks. I hope to give her a range workout this week.

3. gunjunky

gunjunky Arlington, WA Active Member

S&W is the 1911 I really want to like, but... Every time I pick one up the grip safety has been fit like crap, large gap between frame and part. Also there has always been a gap under the rear sight, although I could live with that. I really like the LW model concept and would like to pick one up, I just can't get past the GS issue.

The picture you posted in this thread looks like that may have been adressed, I don't know. But all the ones I look at in shops have the same issue.

Regarding the extractor, I have no problem with it, if it work it matters not.

4. RangerEric

RangerEric Southern Oregon, United States Active Member

I just can't get wrapped around the fish scales on 1911's. I'd be all over one of those bobbed Super Carry Kimbers, but the fish scales ruin those for me as well. :-/

5. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

Don't think of them as fish scales. Think Dragonskin... :)

JapaneseDragonVectorArt.jpg

I'm interested in the Scandium Commander from S&W myself. As for the internal vs external extractor issue. Proper extractor tension can be one of the most finicky things about a 1911 in my book so I'd be willing to try an external one.