JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am buying an entry-level AR-15 today, this will be my first time ever dipping my toe in the AR-15 pool. A local gun store has a new S&W Sport II for about $650, Cabelas has Ruger AR-556's for about that much, and Sportsmans Warehouse has a DPMS on sale for $549. If I went with the S&W or Ruger, am I paying the extra $100 for a brand name only, or are they better quality than DPMS?

If the DPMS is the oracle (which I'm thinking it is), you won't have any iron sights. So figure on an extra $70-$80 for a set of Magpul MBUS sights and you're right back to the same price range as the S&W and Ruger.

By the way, Cabelas seems to still be accepting the "16STALKUP" promo code for an extra 10% off firearms , so if you order the Ruger from Cabela's website and use that promo code, it'll be $567.

All three have good reputations are good to go in my opinion. I have the Ruger and like it, but it has a few non standard design features:
  • The FSB is pinned on the top instead of the bottom. Still, it's my favorite FSB as it is milled, has an anti glare rear surface and accepts QD slings w/o modifications. The only reason this bugs me is I'd like to use it in some builds I have planned but can't due to the pins.
  • The Delta ring unscrews as opposed to retracts back. It is more convenient than the standard delta ring, but if you don't like it you can replace it with standard parts.
The barrel on the S&W is nitride treated which gives all the benefits of a chrome lining without changing any dimensions and will never wear out or peal.

Northwest Armory has the S&W Sport II @$600 and PMags @$10, so for the same price you could get the rifle and 5 extra mags there.

The DPMS will need BUIS is it's an Oracle, so there goes your $100.

Also consider the Colt Expanse M4 in the same price range.

The following are reviews of the S&W Sport - everything applies the same except for the FA and
dustcover added to the II version

If i was buying another, or my first AR today, instead of ten years ago, i'd get the Ruger, hands down.

In Sportsmans, when i was enquiring after my Sister's interest, they recommended against the DPMS for the reasons above, as well as it generally being a budget model.
There is nothing that sells the S&W Sport for me, so i don't consider it.

Some of Rugers promotional stuff is nice to watch on the AR, they took some nice directions/decisions for the design, personally i think it's a great AR for the price, and i agree with the Cabelas code, use it!

If i was buying another, or my first AR today, instead of ten years ago, i'd get the Ruger, hands down.

In Sportsmans, when i was enquiring after my Sister's interest, they recommended against the DPMS for the reasons above, as well as it generally being a budget model.
There is nothing that sells the S&W Sport for me, so i don't consider it.

Some of Rugers promotional stuff is nice to watch on the AR, they took some nice directions/decisions for the design, personally i think it's a great AR for the price, and i agree with the Cabelas code, use it!

I can add that I have ZERO regrets about getting the Ruger. I was camping last weekend and shot the h e double hockey sticks out of it. Not a single problem. I am going to upgrade the trigger, but that's par for the course with almost any AR including big bux AR's.

Yeah, trigger is a thing you 'get to' after you've enjoyed it for a bit, there is too much aftermarket for triggers for them to bother and/or compete with, so mil-spec it is :) (you can always smooth them out yourself)

If you are just getting one, because and you don't have any great battle plan it really doesn't matter between those choices. I have two different ARs. They're name brands but neither of the ones you listed. Not a big difference and they both have many hundreds of rounds through them. I'd look for the best deal. One of my rifles is mil spec while the other is commercial. Still no perceived difference to me.

Love the Ruger. Remember Cabelas has 10% off the lowest price right now. So price would be ~$570'sh

If I was in market for a new entry level, it would be another Ruger hands down!

Well I made my decision. Picked up a brand new S&W MP 15 at Rich's Gun Shop. I probably paid $75 more than I would have at Cabela's, but for the extra $ I get a lifetime gurantee on the gun, honored at the shop, and he is only 10 minutes away. Plus I am supporting a locally-owned business instead of a big-box. Now its time to go shoot it!:):)

Well I made my decision. Picked up a brand new S&W MP 15 at Rich's Gun Shop. I probably paid $75 more than I would have at Cabela's, but for the extra $ I get a lifetime gurantee on the gun, honored at the shop, and he is only 10 minutes away. Plus I am supporting a locally-owned business instead of a big-box. Now its time to go shoot it!:):)

Excellent - am interested in your impressions.

The average shooter will not notice the difference. Buy the cheapest use the rest of the money for magazines and ammo.
Can always swap uppers and various other parts later on.

I picked up the Ruger on sale at the beginning of this year for $538 + OSP BGC from sportmans. Every thing fits together very tight.

Likes: accuracy out of the box, screw on/off Delta ring, heavy barrel without the unneeded M4 grenade launcher cut out, curved trigger guard and Magpul like grip.

Dislikes: Ruger brand or stamp on every part, rear sight only has one diopter, the front A2 site post and bayonet lug are proprietary, and no metal heat shield under the plastic barrel shrouds.

This is why I don't even bother to post in the "which one should I get" threads. The OP offers three things then after a bunch of opinions, gets the fourth unlisted one.

Time. Well, spent.o_O

This is why I don't even bother to post in the "which one should I get" threads. The OP offers three things then after a bunch of opinions, gets the fourth unlisted one.

Time. Well, spent.o_O

Doc, it is time well spent. There are plenty of others who read this and act on the advice and opinion, yet do not post or make themselves known. For every 1 person you directly help, there are probably dozens of others also helped. Ripples of good in a pond much larger than it appears.

Time. Well, spent.o_O

A new AR owner is ANOTHER AR owner and we need all we can get!

Range Report: me likey! 90 rounds fired, zero malfunctions. The sights on mine were dead-on right out of the box. The gun is more accurate than my current skill level and eyesight will allow for. I need an optic. I put a cheap red dot on it that allowed co-witnessing of the iron sights, but it malfunctioned after about 15 rounds so I removed it. I have an 8" square steel gong and was hitting 9 out of 10 shots at 100 yards. Group size on a paper target was about 6 or 7" at 100 yards which is probably the best I will ever be able to manage with iron sights due to my eyesight. The gun is lighter and has less recoil than my Mini 30, and the sights are much better. The only thing I wish it had was a rail on the bottom of the handguard like the ones on my Mini 30 and 10/22 to attach my bipod to, but I am sure the aftermarket can help with that. I plan on putting available funds into more magazines before November and then worry about optics and handguards. Its a keeper!

Last Edited:
I bought the S&W for the price, features, brand name and life time warranty.

Keep in mind that after your purchase you will have to modify the rifle because they come with the cheapest stock and foregrip. You will spend an additional $100 - $300 depending on your choice of optics, stock, foregrip, handgrip, magazines, etc...

after spending an additional $300:

DSC_1902_02_zpsrw1zu1hx.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads