JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will not carry or use for defensive purposes any handgun that relies upon a manual safety. One more thing to forget, one more thing to go wrong in a life or death situation. I carry either a Glock 26 or a Ruger LCR .38+p hammerless, they are both point-and-shoot weapons with no manual safety to worry about. For home defense its a S&W 66-3. I have been considering replacing the Glock 26 with a Shield but the manual safety on the Shield has always been a turnoff. Looks like it might be an option for me now.

The Shield I have and believe they are all the some way has a trigger safety(much the same as a Glock) as well as the thumb safety, it looks like the new one has only deleted the thumb safety, the trigger safety seems to be the same, so in my option the new one just has one less safety on it, so much to do about nothing.:)

I also don't see the big deal. My safety has never been on and it has never even been close to accidentally flipping on. As for someone else doing it while they are looking at it, I always check it before it goes in the holster. I mean the no safety is a good thing, but I don't see how it could have been a deal breaker. The Shield is an awesome gun that just became better, but I'm not so excited about it that I will buy a new one to replace mine. .

I looked on RSR yesterday while I was working at the shop, both the Shield 9 and Shield 40 are listed without manual safeties! And they're allocated, of course....

There are a few on Gunbroker, starting bid is $400 and 'Buy it Now' is $450.

Be on the lookout for a bunch of perfectly good used Shields w/ safety for sale/trade in the coming months as a lot of people wish to "upgrade" to the non-safety model. A good time to get into one if you've been looking.

I'm surprised that S&W tooled up for a no safety model. I would have thought that they would have designed some type of plug like they use for the M&P's......I know a lot of people were pissed that they didn't offer both versions from the get go. Oh well, It's not like they cost an arm and a leg.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top