JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't use the safety on mine and, because of how much force is needed to use it, I don't worry that it will accidentally get activated.
I don't know much about that safety on the shield, and I am not an expert, but I will tell you this, it takes over 3000 reps to commit something to muscle memory. A lot of us that was military will tell your the Beretta M9 was a weapon you committed to muscle memory, still today, I pull a weapon from a holster, Glock, Sig, etc, I am still sweeping the safety (EVEN IF ITS NOT THERE) just because that is something I was trained to do. Its in your DNA, but to my point, does not matter what you have, safety or not, its how you train to manipulate the tool is how effective you will be. Just my opinion.

I'll have to agree about the "Muscle Memory". As an old Red Ryder trained shooter, I found myself still wanting to take a lever gun out of my shoulder after the shot to cock it. The solution was, I replaced all of my rifles with AR's in the same caliber.
Problem solved. :D Now just have to watch which magazine I pick up. :eek:

After a bit of shopping around, I bought a Shield 9mm earlier this year to use for concealed carry. I think it works well for this purpose and even with a cheap bladetech IWB holster it is comfortable for me to wear all the time and I can see why I've heard people say they forget they have it on.

I just picked up a 9mm Shield when they went on sale for $299 at Quantico Tactical. I'm pretty comfortable with the M&P platform and I think it's a great pistol and will replace my Sig P-238 as my hot weather carry or BUG. The only downside for me is that there are no ambidextrous controls (unlike the full-size or compact M&Ps) and I'm a lefty. Mine shoots great and points naturally for me. I carry it in a Crossbreed qwik-clip IWB holster and I barely notice it's there.

I love my Shield .40. I put Hogue grips on everything I buy and so I did with this one too. It makes a big difference as to grip and follow up shots. But just like every gun - it is very subjective so one man's treasure is another man's trade fodder. I've not had one problem with it and don't anticipate I will.

I just put some Talon grips on my shield and I couldn't ask for a better feel when handling it. I agree it does make a big improvement over the factory grip.

I bought my Shield to fill the gap I was hoping Glock would fill, single stack 9mm in polymer style. I have been very happy with it over the last year, but I am selling mine at a good price as well due to the fact of finding a smoking deal on a p938. Unfortunetly it doesn't leave the safe very much anymore. I have a feeling I will regret selling it someday. Unless of course Glock pulls out a compact, subcompact single stack 9mm.:cool:

Maybe I'm a bit off about this, but I see the Shield as something like "the gun you carry when you're not carrying a gun."

A lot of the time most folks seem to carry something "more substantial" ...higher capacity, larger caliber type of thing.

For me, have not been too happy with the little Kahr or XDs, and love the feel of the Shield (all of this is subjective of course) so have had a hankerin for a little Shield in 9mm without a manual safety.

If anyone has one (9mm Shield without manual safety) they're looking to pass along for a fair price in Salem, give me a shout.

They have been baling on the XD's for some time. They are a well-worn inside joke at some gun ranges, I'm told. To each their own, though. :)
I think my Glock G-21 is functionally beautiful, so there ya go. :)

I carry a Shield as my primary EDC and love it. I have a beautiful squirrel skin tanned out in my office that I took with the Shield. It is a little snappy compared to a full-size, but that is to be expected when one is dealing with a compact size firearm. As far as the safety goes, it takes all of .1 seconds to disengage when one is used to it, and I rather like the feeling that the trigger cannot negligently discharge the round in the chamber. I have been looking at full-size and bigger calibers handguns for EDC but the Shield is wonderful for me right now.

I believe the Shield to be the best of the bunch in this size/style/construction of pistol. The Shield fit me better, and was more comfortable than its counterparts of other manufacture. But I fully am aware everybody has their own opinions and favorites.

In spite of my appreciation of the Shield, I did sell mine. Not because it didn't perform well, but because I'm just distancing myself from plastic guns. All mine have performed wonderfully, but with all the plastic guns I have seen fail, I'm just done with them. Didn't want to wait til I ended up with a plastic lemon.

Technology moves ahead, and man made materials have replaced just about everything I grew up with. I'll let someone else do the experimenting and see if their plastic gun works as well in fifty years as it did when it was new.

WAYNO.
that is funny, i am on opposite end. in my idpa and 3 gun matches i have seen more 1911 and sigs have malfunctions than any glock or xd or m & p. i sold everything i had that was not a striker fire and have not had one issue. to each his own.
they are all plastic. and i trust my life with them.
;)

I fired a young mans Shield at the range a couple months ago (2 mags). I was fine with handleing and natural pointing. OK pistol.
Now a plug for my Sig p290rs! I carry it everyday, love it! Never had a bauble with any ammo and it's comfortable IWB! The trigger was a bit stiff when new but after about 100rnds and dry fireing it's smooth and slick as a pro trigger job! Super controllable!:)
Uh oh! Sig fanboy passing! Look out!!!;)

My shield went up for sale the day I shot my wife's Sig 938. Now I have one too! Wasn't enamoured with the comparative accuracy, felt more recoil, and the front sight insert flew off in the first 10rds. Don't miss the Shield one bit.

I'm kinda surprised no one has given any love to the CZ... I've owned Sigs, glocks and had the opportunity on many occasions to shoot springfields & S&W but none felt as good as my Colt Talo CCO 1911. Then I had the opportunity to spend a little time with the CZ 75 SA which had a Cajun works trigger in it and holy crapola!!! This is the closest thing to a 1911 that isn't a 1911 & isn't plastic so I bought one with Zero regret! The stock trigger aint bad but the Cajun works is the closest thing to a 1911 trigger I have felt. Now lets talk accuracy............. Dead nuts on! It's every bit as accurate as my Les Baer. If you haven't had the opportunity to shoot a CZ, go rent one. You can thank me later:cool:

I'm kinda surprised no one has given any love to the CZ... I've owned Sigs, glocks and had the opportunity on many occasions to shoot springfields & S&W but none felt as good as my Colt Talo CCO 1911. Then I had the opportunity to spend a little time with the CZ 75 SA which had a Cajun works trigger in it and holy crapola!!! This is the closest thing to a 1911 that isn't a 1911 & isn't plastic so I bought one with Zero regret! The stock trigger aint bad but the Cajun works is the closest thing to a 1911 trigger I have felt. Now lets talk accuracy............. Dead nuts on! It's every bit as accurate as my Les Baer. If you haven't had the opportunity to shoot a CZ, go rent one. You can thank me later:cool:

Better yet, go buy one. Basically all I shoot anymore is my CZs. Got rid of the HKs, Beretta & Steyr.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top