JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One of the easiest ways to enhance both the function and/or the aesthetics of your revolver is with custom stocks. The beauty is that it is easily reversible or changeable if, down the road, your tastes change. I have been working through my S&W revolvers and either changing to the Smith smooth target offerings, or custom offerings.

Smooth S&W stocks are usually goncalo alves, but rosewood and even maple have also been used. Here's an example of smooth stocks (these are presentation stocks - meaning they are relieved on the R/S to show a custom roll mark on the side plate...

Slide11.jpg

They made them in configurations for the various frame sizes and grip frames. Here is a set of what are called "banana" stocks (for obvious reasons). They are shown on a Model of 1953 22/32 Kit Gun...

Kit-Gun.jpg

And then there are the all-out custom stocks. I've installed elk stag stocks on a number of my guns. Ken Driskill is the maker and he does terrific work at more than reasonable prices. However, you can't place an order with Ken. This is a hobby for him and he makes what he wants, when he wants, so it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time to get a set of his stags. He advertises them for sale on the S&W forum and also on Gun Broker (GB ID = bigmtnman). Here's a set of Ken's stag stocks on my model 25-14...

Slide33.jpg

As far as custom stocks in wood, there are three makers who are the pre-eminent craftsmen of S&W stocks. They are Craig Spegel, John Culina and Keith Brown.

Craig Spegel makes boot grips, however he also makes an extended version of his boot grip, which, in essence, are full size grips. Craig is 63 and currently has a two year waiting list for revolver grips. I was fortunate to purchase a gun that turned out to have Spegel grips on it - unbeknownst to the seller (a large gun store). These are ebony boot grips on a model 25-3. If they look familiar it's because Craig did the design of the Uncle Mike's rubber boot grips...

625-3-Spegel.jpg

The Culinas, John and Jennifer, make grips in the style of the OE S&W stocks, but better shaped, better quality and some beautiful woods. Here are two examples of John's work. The first is a set of Target stocks and the second are Combats (both on models 24-3). Both are made with "bubble" maple - a variety of birdseye in which the "eyes" look three-dimensional (very hard to capture that effect in a picture)...

24-3-4.jpg
24-3-LH.jpg

And last, but certainly not least, is Keith Brown. Keith also has a two year backlog and is not accepting new orders at this time. He is a master at both the carving of the grips and the checkering. He may be best known for his Roper style grips with Roper's iconic ribbon checkering pattern. I just got these recently (there are some available through brokers or private parties) - I will say that I have paid less for some Smiths in my collection than I paid for these grips, but I so love the Roper pattern that I just had to have the best. I passed up bidding on a scarce Model 28 so that I could buy these grips...

Model-16-4-KB-1.jpg

There are lots of commercial manufacturers also. Some of the best known are Hogue, Altamont, Eagle, Badger, Pachmayr, Nills, KSD and others. The truly custom makers are dwindling. Ahrends and Herretts are both out of business, hopefully others will pick-up the mantle.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks for an informative and most pleasant post. Do you have an example of the old "Coke bottle" shape you can post?

I'm always pleased and a bit startled how well these wooden masterpieces can feel when falling to hand unexpectedly in a world of the general ~bleh~ grips.

Those are gorgeous. I have a thing for the stag grips. I will have to look further since the price of many has kept me from pulling the trigger. Thanks for posting.

Do you have an example of the old "Coke bottle" shape you can post?

Sorry, I don't, but if you go to the thread "Post Pics of Your Revolvers" asiparks has some pictures of very nice ones in posts #389 & #391 - to truly get the difference, perhaps we could impose on him/her to photograph them from the rear so you could see the palm swells that make them resemble an old Coke bottle.

Thanks for the kind words.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Beautiful grips on some awesome S&W's Pizza Bob. I share your appreciation for both.

Rosewood "Coke's" on an M29-2 I rehomed a couple years back. Kinda hate myself for letting that one go.....

Craig Spegel boot grips on a M624 and a set of superb S&W combats.

P5030013-1.jpg P6150004-1.jpg P9150012-1a1.jpg

Last Edited:
Sorry, I don't, but if you go to the thread "Post Pics of Your Revolvers" asiparks has some pictures of very nice ones in posts #389 & #391 - to truly get the difference, perhaps we could impose on him/her to photograph them from the rear so you could see the palm swells that make them resemble an old Coke bottle.

Thanks for the kind words.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
Give me a day or two to pull them out of storage, I'd be happy to post some pics...

"When looking for replacements.....I like rubber, usually."

Me too. I particularly like the Pachmyer compaqs, the ones with no finger grooves (or the single pseudo-groove at the bottom) - like your 3rd pic. I find all finger grove stocks to be for people with King Kong sized fingers.

Yep - I swap grips out often looking for that 'perfect' feel - and really like the Pachmayr 'Presentation' grips best, followed by the standard 'football' wood grips that came on Smiths for years.
IMG_1870.JPG
While they look kinda cool 'real' Sambar staghorns aren't too practical for shooting.
IMG_2031.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads