JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had my trusty Model 27 out today and got about 10 FTF out of 100 rounds. NEver had this happen before. The only thi g I can think of is the ammo. Was using 158 gr LSWC from Magtech. Primer strikes looked good. Deep and centered. All of the rounds except 1 eventually fired, but some required as many as 4 tries.

I'm not the original owner (it's a Model 27 no dash) but not aware of any trigger or spring work. The screw on the front strap is tight.

During this same trip I fired some Blazer 357 with no issues.

I found some info on google that suggests the primers are harder than normal with Magtech 38 special.

Ideas or comments?

The only time I had trouble igniting ammo was with Magtech, well, not counting some crappy Wolf 45 ACP. And this was in a gun that was otherwise flawless. I'd question the ammo before I'd worry about the gun.
I've also shot some Magtech that was fine, but I'll not buy anymore.
It will be interesting to see what others have to say.

from your description this sounds like an ammo problem. you may want to acquire a new hammer spring. personally I would stick to the softer primer ammo. some folks shorten the strain screw (the screw on the front of the grip frame) to lessen the d/a trigger pull, if you are not the original owner this may be the case. both of these parts are available through gunpartscorp.com pretty cheap.

from your description this sounds like an ammo problem. you may want to acquire a new hammer spring. personally I would stick to the softer primer ammo. some folks shorten the strain screw (the screw on the front of the grip frame) to lessen the d/a trigger pull, if you are not the original owner this may be the case. both of these parts are available through gunpartscorp.com pretty cheap.
That. Since you are not the original owner, just conduct this simple check: remove the grips and check that the main spring has a visible bow. If straight or almost straight, first try tightening the main spring tension screw. If that's not enough to put a bow on the spring, then the the screw has been overly cut. Replace as indicated above. While at it you may also want to replace the main spring with a Reduced Power main and rebound spring from <broken link removed> and do half-of-a-trigger-job

Well, I had this revolver out today and now I think there is something wrong with the revolver. Over the past few weeks I've shot this same ammo through 3 other 357 or 38, all S&W and it worked fine. Today the ammo didn't work so great. Probably averaged 1 ftf each cylinder. In most cases a second strike would go bang.

I do thnk now that the ftf rounds do NOT have as deep as a primer strike as the ones that go bang the first time. I came home and noticed the strain screw on the front of the grip was 1/2 to 3/4 turn loose. I tightened up as much as possible. I'm Hoping this solves the problem, but if not what else can I try?

Whoops

I just saw the previous post to take the grips off and inspect. I'll do that first. Sorry I missed it the first time.

Magtech, had the same issue with a batch. Every S & W with adjustable hammer power has a slightly different lb-age and the mag tech tests that to the limit. Try getting it to max, or repair then try again

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top