JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bought this a few months ago (I think it was October) used from a local shop, and didn't get around to firing it until November, I think. Put 50 rounds each of .38Spl and .357Mag thru it. Had quite a few keyholes in the target afterwards. Been busy and haven't gotten it to a gunsmith yet, but last night I grabbed it and a bright flashlight and, after unloading it, took a look at the crown. Crap...

The marks are 108 degrees from each other, you can tell from the position of the front site in the pics. Is that the cause of the tumble causing the keyholing? Is there any hope? Or do I have a $550 paperweight?

20140108_000731.jpg 20140108_000757.jpg

Wow Looks like someone tried to counter bore it?? I wold contact Smith and Wesson e-mail the
photos. It looks to me you need the barrel replaced.

Model 66's, at least later ones, come counter-bored from the factory, so that wasn't what worried me, it's the gnarly marks inside the barrel. Looks like they are mostly in the land, but do go up the side to the top of the groove. I read around a little, and don't find any info on rebarreling, so I don't even know if it's possible on the MIM (metal injection molding) versions.

You bought 'as is'? Take it back and see what they say.
Not sure what the marks are in the barrel. Maybe someone can give you an answer.

I've got two 66's, 2 1/2" barrels but they're earlier models. Excellent handguns!

Be well,
Will

Yeah, bought it used "as-is", but I reckon it can't hurt to take it in and ask. But being so long since I bought it probably won't help the cause. But I'll give it a go. Besides the keyholing though, I did enjoy shooting it the one time I had it out. I wasn't suer accurate with it in DA, but this was my first time shooting a revolver of any kind, so that was different. And not really much worse than my 9mm once I got used to it. Shooting in SA seemed pretty good though, love that SA trigger pull!

Way I see it you have 3 choices: shoot the gun till the barrel is dirty & sell it, have the barrel counter-bored another 1/2" or so or keep it for yourself, as is.

Out of those, probably going to go with #3, so I don't make it someone elses problem. Although counterboring it wouldn't be too bad, but will look funny! Gotta get it into a gunsmith and see what they say and how much this might cost me before making the decision.

Out of those, probably going to go with #3, so I don't make it someone elses problem. Although counterboring it wouldn't be too bad, but will look funny! Gotta get it into a gunsmith and see what they say and how much this might cost me before making the decision.

I bought the exact same gun a couple of years ago. Wonderful guns! Shooter Service Center in St Johns is purportedly THE place to take your S&W revolver. Took a gun to the man and he convinced me it really didn't need what I thought it did. As you're in Beaverton it's just over the hill from you. Business hours are a little weird 503-289-1280

Mike

OR...start looking for a replacement barrel. It will be hard to find, but they're out there.

I want to second Papercidal's idea. I personally have had pretty good experiences dealing with factory customer service. Be honest, tell them what you know, ask if you can send pics and they'll tell you up front roughly the cost to you or not. Give it a shot, all they can say is no. Good luck !!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top