JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My girlfriend will be inheriting a Model 60 Stainless .38special with a 2" barrel, SN R1176xx.

After a polish, I would put it at 90-95%.

Can someone tell me the manufacture year and worth?

Thanks!

Really? I don't mean that I would be taking any metal off, just shining it up a bit. That decreases value? I would understand if it were an antique.

Please explain - I want to learn more.

You in fact are removing material any time you polish metal. Now, I understand your thought and in fact polished a 686 myself but I have no desire to keep it in tip top shape. It was already well used when I got it and it is definitely just a shooter for me. The model 60 you are talking about isn't likely any serious collector piece either but polishing does decrease the value and a discriminating collector would likely pass over any gun that was polished. It just isn't the way it left the factory.

In the 15th edition Gun Digest Modern Gun Values book a model 60 is listed as $300 in Excellent condition, $335 Perfect, and $355 New. If I get a chance tomorrow I will dig out my S&W book and see what values they have listed and the manufacturing timeline. Usually the values in both of those books is a little lower than you can actually get in the market, at least in the PNW. Any pre-lock S&W, which that model 60 surely is, is in fairly high demand these days.

The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (3rd edition, 2006) puts the likely date of manufacture range between 1974 and 1977. It should be a 60-1. There were no dash number or major changes in those years.

The values as listed in this book are:
$500 - as new in box, $375 - excellent, $325 - very good, and $275 - good.

The pinned barrel on that one also adds a slight S&W enthusiast demand factor.

Some of the early model 60s between 1965 & 1968 came with a polished finish, but that one should be satin.

Like I said, I polished a 686-5 that I have but it is a late model gun, though pre-lock. I don't think I'd ever polish a pinned barrel S&W. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot it but I'd just keep it clean and oiled and let it wear naturally.

That time frame sounds about right.

I'll have to verify the pinned barrel or not, but I know it's not a matte finish. It's shiny stainless, with some very minor marks that I was previously considering polishing out.:D

I don't think she is going to ever get rid of it, but would like to know it's value. It was her fathers.

Thanks for all your help JAFO!

Could check Auction Arms for a comparison price check. Older smiths tend to go for more than the Standard Catalog states at times. Just varies depending on the revolver.

Yes, it is has a pinned barrel.

I checked some of the gun auctions and classified across the nation, but they vary so much. Some people think they can get $700 out of one, whereas another guy has the exact same thing for $500.

I'm not looking to sell it. My girlfriend will keep it for the rest of her life and pass it on to her son after that. Just looking for the ballpark information.

Again, thanks for info.