JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a model 19 and a couple model 29s. I was considering this for an alternate carry for myself or suggesting to a friend as a first pistol for her. I prefer 1911s and revolvers as opposed to say a Glock 9mm. Would you recommend this for a novice to carry? I am considering recommending this to a lady friend and of course training. I'm not a fan of 9mm semis.

I am also thinking 2 or 3"? Is this too much redundancy in my collection since I have a 4" 38/357 already... The model 36 is ligher.

Last Edited:
I am a fan of 'J' frame S&Ws and often carry a Mod 60 (SS version of the 36) however if she does go with a 36 make sure it has some good, wrap around grips.

If it's an older one with the original style grips below, it is nearly useless to shoot with them.

IMG_0273.jpg

I am a fan of 'J' frame S&Ws and often carry a Mod 60 (SS version of the 36) however if she does go with a 36 make sure it has some good, wrap around grips.

If it's an older one with the original style grips below, it is nearly useless to shoot with them.

View attachment 1178988
Really, never used the thinner grips before. Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to match the other classic models in my collection. I tried Pachmeyer grips. Felt funny. I'm guessing the wood grips are too rough with vibration. I like the way they look the wood.

Last Edited:
If the J frames had some style of 'wrap around' wood grips say like maybe a smaller version of the 'football' style grips like the "K" frames have they probably wouldn't be so bad.

I've got the Pachmayr 'Diamond Pro' grips on mine and love 'em!

IMG_1736.JPG

I carried one for a couple years. It's a great little model if you practice with it. I could get 'good enough' accuracy with attention to the basics of good marksmanship.

It readily mostly disappeared in just about any pocket I wore. The biggest thing I didn't like was the hammer tended to tangle more than I thought it would.

Next time around for J frame I'll try one of the hammerless 38s.

I think a .38 Special is a great choice for a first time shooter however I would not choose a model 36 as her first handgun. It can be hard to handle, especially with 'splinter grips'. Poor sights and shorter sight line makes it more difficult to shoot accurately, and the smaller frame gun can pack a pretty good bark. Having said all of that, if she is committed to practice, practice and practice, the Model 36 would make a great gun for concealed carry if that is her intent.

I carried a S&W M60 (SS version of the M36) for many years as my off duty gun. Yup.....I'm old. The fact is that for half of my career, I carried a S&W M15, K frame, .38 special revolver in blued steel. Yeah.....in Hawaii. Imagine, trying to keep the rust off of that.

Anyway......
S-W-M60-No-Dash.jpg
This is my first handgun that I ever purchased. Those grips were it's reward. Sort of retirement grips to pretty it up. The old grips that I actually used were IIRC wooden Harrett grips.

YES, even when using it with .38 special +P (approved ammo by the Dept. at that time) it was a not such a delightful experience. But qualifications (that went out to 25 yards) were done with regular .38 special ammo.

LOL...carried a lot and fired only seldomly.

Aloha, Mark

PS....note the filed down front sight. Yeah, my effort to zero it with WC ammo. THAT.....I don't/wouldn't recommend. Hint: Instead, just try it with different ammo.

Last Edited:
I carried a S&W M60 (SS version of the M36) for many years as my off duty gun. Yup.....I'm old. The fact is that for half of my career, I carried a S&W M15, K frame, .38 special revolver in blued steel. Yeah.....in Hawaii. Imagine, trying to keep the rust off of that.

Anyway......
View attachment 1200155
This is my first handgun that I ever purchased. Those grips were it's reward. Sort of retirement grips to pretty it up. The old grips that I actually used were IIRC wooden Harrett grips.

YES, even when using it with .38 special +P (approved ammo by the Dept. at that time) it was a not such a delightful experience. But qualifications (that went out to 25 yards) were done with regular .38 special ammo.

LOL...carried a lot and fired only seldomly.

Aloha, Mark

PS....note the filed down front sight. Yeah, my effort to zero it with WC ammo. THAT.....I don't/wouldn't recommend. Hint: Instead, just try it with different ammo.
I filed my front too.. it's pinned so I figured if I ganked it I could replace it. Came out perfect. I regulated it for 110gr +P/+P+ since I knew that'd be my carry ammo.

From 1975 through ~1980, my duty sidearm was 3" Model 36-1 "round butt" with narrow factory wood. During my semi-annual qualification trips to the range, I never once fired "expert" with that revolver. I wasn't alone in that, though; our semi-official unit motto was, "shoot five fast then throw it at 'em". I knew of just one lone exception, a LtCol who consistently put all of his qualification shots in a group you could cover with the lid of a small shoe box (aside from that one exasperating fault, he was really a great guy to work for).

So, with that said, I'll confess to recently adding a nice 3" Model 36-1 to my EDC rotation. Blame it on nostalgia.

The Mod. 36 Chief's Special was my carry gun decades ago. They are all about concealability, so their many user drawbacks have to be considered in that light. Don't go with the Airweight, too snappy. Don't be tempted to go with the Mod. 60 in .357 mag, too much cartridge when fired with magnum ammo. The hammerless models like the Centennial or the Bodyguard (actually has a stub hammer) are better for pockets, but I carried my Chief's Special in an IWB holster. They aren't a target gun. Likely won't be used in long range, high round count shoot-outs. They were designed more for cardroom disputes. Where zero to a couple of rounds usually resolve the issue at hand.

Funny story. One of my first jobs in the 1960's, every day the boss made a cash deposit trip to the bank. Sometimes, he would entrust this duty to his brother. The brother was a little jumpy, he'd take the store's Chief's Special along with him in the bag containing the deposit. One day, the brother came back with the bag, no revolver. He hadn't a clue where it had gone off to, it was never found. So he said.

I would echo the idea of a few visits to shooting ranges that rent firearms and let her get some experience with different calibers, sizes, etc, before making a purchase. Would result in a greater chance of her getting a firearm she enjoys and will practice with.

I only fired an old J-Frame once and I really enjoyed it. My brother in law inherited it from his mother. She carried this in her purse for years. It had some sort of aftermarket rubber grip, probably Hogue. Inside of 10 yards it was accurate. For a long time I looked for one to buy. A lot of the used ones are trashed (heavy wear and pitting). I know S&W reissued these under the Classic line but I've never actually seen one in stock anywhere.

If you have the ability to produce mouse fart loads for a lot of training it would be ok.

Stoking that thing with full power loads and saying, "Here ya go sweetie!" Is a recipe for disaster.
I hear you I'd never do that to anyone I've heard bad stories. We all have an obligation to represent our community in a positive way.