Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

S&W model 1950 45 acp /45 autorim New price

Discussion in 'Handgun Classifieds' started by JZO, Aug 26, 2010.

1. JZO

JZO Vancouver Member

as you can see, someone cut the trigger frame, I was told this was popular back in the day for competition shooting. 575.00 cash or open to trades. I have 2 of these 45's plus a S&W 38/44 outdoorsman in 38 spcl I will be posting here soon and yes, they are all 3 cut. :angry:

Ruger015.jpg

Ruger020.jpg

2. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

I'm sick! Uncut that's a $5K revolver.

Sounds like you came into some rare pieces and they are all cut, what a shame.

3. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

If it was a short barrel combat gun I'd think it was a "Fitz special". I didn't know they cut them for competition?

4. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member

Could an ambitious person fabricate and weld a new trigger guard? I know it wouldn't restore the original value, but it would make it a very serviceable piece.

5. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Yes. Carbon steel would need to be tig-welded into place. A good tig welder would not damage the heat treat on the rest of the frame. The weld and trigger guard would then need to be reshaped and the gun refinished. Like you said, no affect on the value, but makes it back to more normal.

6. JZO

JZO Vancouver Member

anybody? Reduced to 575.00

7. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

A new guard could be tig'd onto the revolver. The weld would show on the re-blue because of different metal from the filler rod. A re-blue destroys collector value.

The "Fitz special" normally would have the barrel bobbed, the hammer bobbed and the grip frame rounded off. You would normally start with a fixed sight frame. The idea was a snag free pocket carry in a larger frame revolver.

JXO, list it on Gunbroker, maybe you well find someone needing it as a parts gun. I don't know what the original owner was thinking. These were rare even back in the day.

8. FIDO6

FIDO6 Benton County Member

PM sent.

9. JZO

JZO Vancouver Member

Here's some new pics of all 3. from left to right, Model 1955, Model 1950 and 38/44 outdoorsman in 38 special. take all 3 for $1550.00, including 100 rds of 45 autorim ammo (worth 100.00 or more).

repaired there is probably 10K worth here.

DSC_0108.jpg
    The two 45's
    DSC_0095.jpg

10. BluesBear

BluesBear Mill Creek New Member

Oh my eyes!

PLEASE say that you bought them that way.

And a real Fitz Special would be a Colt anyway.
    Ed McGiven would slap someone over this.

I'm going to go and be sick now.

11. JZO

JZO Vancouver Member

sold pending funds