S&W Model 19 trigger question.

I just picked up a S&W Model 19-4, but the trigger does not seem right to me.
When I start pulling it, it moves fine the first 20% or so of the travel distance, then kind of catches, then releases from whatever that catch issue is and travels the remaining 80% or so just fine.
This is my first S&W wheel gun and I've read all the people praising their triggers, so there must be something not right with mine.
Any ideas?

(the issue I've described occurs in DA)
 
Messages
397
Reactions
47
It is definitely not normal. It could be the result of a botched trigger job or simply a worn/dirty/dry mechanism. If you are comfortable doing so, it is easy to take the side plate off and examine the mechanism. There is a lot of information on the web, including YouTube, to show you how to do it.

DO NOT TAKE OUT THE SCREWS AND TRY TO PRY OFF THE SIDE PLATE. It is easier than that and you won't mark your plate. You should use screwdrivers that are designed to fit the screws to avoid marking the screws. There's a lot of great information at www.smith-wessonforum.com, too.

There are some gunsmiths in town who can take a quick look, too. I recommend Jim at West Coast Armory's range location in South Bellevue.
 
Messages
1,281
Reactions
213
I start pulling it, it moves fine the first 20% or so of the travel distance, then kind of catches, then releases from whatever that catch issue is and travels the remaining 80% or so just fine.
The problem sounds like the transition from the double action sear to the trigger cam is worn, dirty or been screwed with.
 
OP
G
Messages
1,799
Reactions
1,158
Took the side plate off yesterday and took a look inside. I also paid closer attention to the trigger travel. First I was wrong about the 20% travel. What is actually going on is that there is a tiny bit of play when you start pulling the trigger and then it clicks. I cannot tell 100% what the click is, but it is definitely something releasing and it seems to me that it is whatever locks the cylinder in place.
The mechanics look clean and oiled, so there is no dirt in there. I did not want to start taking the mechanism apart, even though I am mechanically inclined, I was just not in a mood for a new adventure. I guess I will take it to a Smith smith.
Rodell suggested one in Bellevue, but if anyone knows of someone who's between north Seattle and Everett, I would much prefer to stick to that area.
 
Messages
191
Reactions
66
From the description, it seems like the first click you hear is the cylinder bolt. That part is normal. Without actually seeing things, I'd guess the point at which it seems something "catches" is the hand engaging the extractor lugs. Many times it's a combination of things that need to be smoothed out - trigger/hammer engagement, rebound slide, lug burrs, hand window, etc. I'm also between Seattle and Everett and know that Sam's (on 128th SW) has a smith that seems to be part time but that's OK.
 

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - Pistol/Rifle Combo
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
DRRC .22 Rimfire Challenge Oct 10
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Oregon State Steel Challenge Championship
Central Oregon Shooting Sports Association
Millican, OR 97701, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
  • Revelation Arms
    4.00 star(s)
    Depends who answers the phone
    I was given the number to Roger Loock by Beaver Creek Armory, as I needed parts I had ordered from MCarbo installed on a Kel-Tec Sub2000. On my...
  • Coastal Farm & Ranch - Cornelius
    3.00 star(s)
    Lesson learned
    I’ll take some responsibility here, as I took the employee at their word instead of doing a thorough inspection. Short story is that I asked for a...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Good guys!
    I stop in here every once in a while to see what Michael has in the clearance section, and to ask questions when I have a project in mind...
Top Bottom