JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone have any idea what one of these would go for, pre '82 with a pinned barrel.

Saw one today and it looks pretty nice, but i've no idea is the $825 was too much.

It depends on condition of course.. if in good condition, I'd compare the price to a NIB current manufacture equivalent (as close as possible) type Smith and if in the same ballpark, I'd say that yes, it's worth x.. that's the way I'd do it anyway. lol

What would be the current .357 from them? the 686?

I'm honestly not that familiar with the Smiths, always out of my league... ;)

If it was 98% condition $825 would be a good price--this is excellent condition for a 2.5" barrel. "very good" condition would lower the value. That would be between 85 % to 90%. If it had an original box and original grips that makes a difference. If you want 357 shooting at a steady diet--go for a 686 pre-lock.

$825 in very good condition does not cut it!

Hmm, it was 6 inch (i think) in nickel, did appear in certainly 90%+ condition, no box though and the original grips wanted cleaning in the detail areas. I'm still technically looking for a stainless 6 inch GP100 (new or close) but i liked the look of this model 19 :)

There was also a little Sturm Ruger Bearcat, .22, black with gold lettering and scrollwork on the cylinder for 650, my wife *really* wanted/wants it, but i don't have the first clue about them or value :(

You should be able to check on the retail price on a bearcat with the description you offer. It must me new. If you wife liked it then buy it! 90 % on the 19 and not knowing the barrel length then move on. Go buy a new or next to new at near new prices for a gp 100 in 4 or 6". You can not go wrong. Ruger offeres a Wiley Camp gp 100 without adjustable sights and is a hunny with a 3" barrel Or, go buy a standard 4 or 6" gp 100 and this is a near perfect revolver for a novice or experienced shooter and these come with adjustable sights. Shoots 38 and 357--perfect deal. I think this is your best bet given your knowledge. .

Thanks for that, and, after a little more digging with the wife, it's the uniqueness/gold scrollwork she liked, so i'll have to investigate a little more about that. I just think $600+ for a 22 revolver is odd.

With the Model 19 you have to be careful shooting real hot .357 loads. That's fine for me, but if you want to shoot hot loads, you would be better off with the current Smith model or any of the Rugers. Hot Magnum loads can cause the forcing cone to crack on the Model 19. As for the price, it seems steep. We have a blued Model 19-4 with 6-inch barrel in like new condition, and I have it valued at $500. Stainless would be more, but another $325?

Hmm, it was 6 inch (i think) in nickel, did appear in certainly 90%+ condition, no box though and the original grips wanted cleaning in the detail areas. I'm still technically looking for a stainless 6 inch GP100 (new or close) but i liked the look of this model 19 :)

There was also a little Sturm Ruger Bearcat, .22, black with gold lettering and scrollwork on the cylinder for 650, my wife *really* wanted/wants it, but i don't have the first clue about them or value :(

Not sure if you are aware that Ruger had produced their 3", 4", and 6" GP-100s in a "short shroud" configuration. The 6" has adjustable sights while the others are fixed. They were available in both blue and stainless finishes, though I think the 3" was only made in stainless. Here is a photo of a stainless 6" currently for sale on Gunbroker. I much prefer them over the full lug barrels but YMMV.

GP100.jpg

Not sure if you are aware that Ruger had produced their 3", 4", and 6" GP-100s in a "short shroud" configuration. The 6" has adjustable sights while the others are fixed. They were available in both blue and stainless finishes, though I think the 3" was only made in stainless. Here is a photo of a stainless 6" currently for sale on Gunbroker. I much prefer them over the full lug barrels but YMMV.

View attachment 88856
Huh, I didn't know that.. very cool!

Yes, the shroud, or cover around the ejector rod is shorter than the typical GP-100. These short shrouded guns look similar to the '70s/'80s Six Series guns which are composed of the Security Six, Police Service Six, and Speed Six. I actually prefer the Six Series guns over the GP-100 guns as they are lighter weight (even a few ounces less than a K frame S&W) but built very strong. A 6" barrel was only found on the Security Six (blue or stainless). Unlike the K frame S&W guns, they are built to shoot hot .357 magnum loads and should last your lifetime. Below is a photo of a 6" Security Six with factory wood service grips. Ruger also had factory wood target grips available (2nd photo) which you can easily find NOS as Ruger discovered a bunch of them in there warehouse a year or so ago and sold them for a very cheap price.

Granted these are not quite as pretty as a nickel M19, or even the stainless version (M66), but they are well built guns that you can buy used with full confidence that something major is very unlikely to happen later on.

security.jpg

rugergrips.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews