JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a son that's 12 and was looking at these rifles with thoughts of picking one up for him.
The MOE version looks nice & I assume the internals are all the same.'

For those that own these what say you? Any issues or drawbacks?
Primary use will be range fun & target practice.

S&W15-22.JPG

Good rifles. Occasionally we see barrel issues, but they replace the barrel and you're off and running. We have a package with the M&P15-22 with red dot Optic mounted and a softcase for $480.

I've had mine for a while and had the barrel threaded for a Suppressor. I'm very pleased with the accuracy but then I have a Leupold Scope mounted. So far it's run just fine with all the Ammunition I have tried in it. Mostly CCI.:)

Good rifles.

Bought one from Sporting Systems a couple years ago for the grandkids, when the two oldest ones [then 9 and 10] were ready to graduate from BB and pellet guns. I specifically didn't want to buy a kid-size gun they would quickly outgrow. Fun to shoot, and haven't had any problems with it. And, of course, the grandkids loved it.

Last Edited:
I bought one a couple of years ago. I find the stock to be a bit loose but tape on the pipe will take care of that. Shoots very well. Went through Innovative Arms and put an integrated barrel in it. More noise now when the bullet hits the trap than anything else.

All good feedback & appreciated.
Unsure if I'll get an optic prior to making sure competence with the irons is there.
Have used the KNS trigger pin retainers before - expected them to be needed on heavier recoil guns vs 22lr.

I bought one of the first generation. It had problems with lots of FTE's. Bought the Volquartsen ejector, and it has been perfect since. I recommend

The S&W AR.22s are a nice AR15 look-a-like. :D
Some of the earlier ones had, (Out of battery problems) but that has been taken care of. :eek:
They are not a mil Spec. rifle, but they were never meant to be.:rolleyes:
Is your son a small 12yr. or a large 12yr.? o_O
If he can handle an M4 Carbine, I would suggest you look into an M4 and a Ciener/BlackDog .22 adaptor kit. ;)
I have owned both and the S&W AR.22 is just a nice .22 rifle.It will never be anything else.
Fine, until he gets a little older. If he doesn't have anyone to hand it down to, it goes to the back of the safe.:(
Whereas a standard M4 in 5.56 with an adaptor kit can grow with him and the lower and other parts will fit any caliber
upper he may later decide on.:)

I love my 15-22. Great for kids to shoot and I enjoy it too.
Also love my Ruger 10/22, but not ideal gun to share with kids, unless you get a youth stock or make your own by cutting down a wood stock, but then it won't fit an adult well.
The 15-22 with an adjustable stock is perfect. Allows small and large shooter alike a common platform that can be shared.
I've got a set of Magpul MBUS sights and a Vortex Diamondback on mine - works great.

When starting out with a new/young shooter, if you don't want them going "full-semi auto, unloading their .30 caliber clip, all 30 rounds in half a second," you can load only one round in the magazine and use it as a single shot to help them focus on the fundamentals and make each shot count.

Great rifle that is a lot of fun for everyone in the family to shoot.

I'd likely go with a dedicated AR15 22lr vs the 15-22. I'm not a big fan of the plastic feeling to it. It has that heavily fiberglass type plastic that feels chalky to the touch.

Petty I know, but I'm getting more and more petty with the guns I get these days.

So far the most impressive AR15 builds I've seen use CMMGs dedicated barrel and bolt system.

A member here @ConcernedCitizen has a hell of a cool build. If he would not mind sharing?

I'd likely go with a dedicated AR15 22lr vs the 15-22. I'm not a big fan of the plastic feeling to it. It has that heavily fiberglass type plastic that feels chalky to the touch.

Petty I know, but I'm getting more and more petty with the guns I get these days.

So far the most impressive AR15 builds I've seen use CMMGs dedicated barrel and bolt system.

A member here @ConcernedCitizen has a hell of a cool build. If he would not mind sharing?

Here's my build:

IMG_20181028_121227.jpg

It's a CMMG 4.5" barrel and BCG, using a Better-Mag Adapter and M&P15-22 magazines. I originally had a 5.5" flash hider on it to clear the handguard, but now it has a dedicated Spectre II suppressor on it.

Lots of fun to shoot, and it has been extremely reliable so far.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top