JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a M&P Shield 9MM that was released just before the "EZ" model came out. I really like everything about this pistol except for the difficulty of and inability to fully load a clip. I understand this and the racking force were some of the issues addressed in the "EZ" model. Does S&W or anyone in the aftermarket have "fixes" to the clip reload issue (primarily). I see recoil and racking reduction fixes but so far nothing for the clip.

I have a M&P Shield 9MM that was released just before the "EZ" model came out. I really like everything about this pistol except for the difficulty of and inability to fully load a clip. I understand this and the racking force were some of the issues addressed in the "EZ" model. Does S&W or anyone in the aftermarket have "fixes" to the clip reload issue (primarily). I see recoil and racking reduction fixes but so far nothing for the clip.
I found the Maglula loader to be a fine solution for mine.

+1 on Maglula. I have Maglulas to fit all my magazines, and even Striplulas for stripper clips. Faster and my fingers are happy,

Anyone mention the Maglula loader yet...??...:D Kidding aside, I just got one and they are fantastic. Loads the Shield S15 mags for the G43x easily. Without it, getting the 15th round in was a sketchy proposition. Painless with the loader.

Only heads up is that it appears they are pretty widely counterfeited. Got mine from Midway (fast, btw) but there are other sources. On their web site, they say Amazon isn't one of them.

Racking - this technique may help. It's what I recommend. (rather than a device)
(She's a bit long winded)

+1 on the upLULA - worth every penny. They do come in colors which can be real nice at the range.

Yes, I have the Maglula too which certainly helps as a mechanical advantage but I still can't load a full clip.

Now I'm puzzled. My Shield 9 came with two magazines, one 7 round and one 8 round. Fully loading either by hand was extraordinarily difficult when new, but the Maglula made doing so easy. Not to insult your knowledge, but might you trying to load one more than the magazines are actually designed for? The terminology of "7+1" or "8+1" may be confusing.

If not, and all the rounds but one go in fairly easily with the Maglula but the last one doesnt at all, I'm stumped. Would be happy to help in person but have no idea where you are.

I'll try some more to be sure but it seems I was 2-short of a full clip the last time I shot (independent of the clip capacity). I haven't fired a lot of rounds in this pistol so maybe that's some of it but the clip spring is ridiculously strong.

I'll try some more to be sure but it seems I was 2-short of a full clip the last time I shot (independent of the clip capacity). I haven't fired a lot of rounds in this pistol so maybe that's some of it but the clip spring is ridiculously strong.
If you have a smarty-pants phone, video yourself loading the magazines, and if you feel comfortable, share here.

A picture is worth 1000 words, a video 10,000.

I don't carry a mobile phone so would have to have my wife do that when she returns from her trip. It would be equally good to have one of you make a video showing your clip/s being loaded using the method you found to work.

My bride shot the original Shield and yes, mag loading is not as easy as some other guns, especially for the last round. On many guns, try loading a full mag into the gun with the slide forward...challenging to impossible with many guns without a massive amount of force. This is why I download my spare mags down at least one (more for AR's). (IIRC @Cerberus Group detailed information about AR mags and this in another thread that was great info.)

In classes I've both taught and attended and competitions, I've seen numerous mags fall from guns or malfunction because the mags were not seated completely. When you don't have a bunch of capacity to begin with it sucks to ditch one round. You might try disassembling the mag and putting it back together just in case there is something binding or getting in he way of the spring.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top