JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering if anyone has experience with these two compact 40s. Seem like both are good cc or back ups. I shot the Ruger more accurately but it is a bit larger outline. The Shield had less problems but at at least you get a warranty. The Ruger has the mag extensions for range target shooting comfort but I still like the idea of the less visible Shield. Gotta pick just one, any thoughts?

If it was me, I'd go with the Shield. But I'm an M&P fan. I like my wife's Shield and all my other M&P's.

Sent from my LG Optimus Elite using Tapatalk 2

To Rugers customer service, I puchased a SR9c that had trigger reset issues. They took the gun back, replaced a couple of things, sent it back to me and it was still not working. I contacted them again and they replaced the gun with a brand new one, and it has been 100% since. This was about a year ago.

They do not advertise a specific warranty, but they will definitely take care of you if you have problems.

I have no experience with the Shield, so that would have to come down to how you feel about the two weapons. With the SR40c, you get a bit more capacity with the double stack design, and you do not sacrifice much width as the SR series is pretty slim for a double stack. You can also use the full size magazine with the frame extension and have a full grip for range use or home defense. If this is your only gun, it would be good that it could do double duty in a couple of different scenarios. Just food for thought, good luck with your purchase!

I have both guns in 9MM and am happy with both. I'd suggest getting the one that fits your hand best. You really don't lose either way you go :)

I have an sr40 I also shot the sr40c when deciding what I wanted.
I never shot the m&p because it wasn't comfortable in my hand so I wasn't really interested.
I'm pretty happy with the ruger.
It's comfortable, shoots good and was 70 dollars cheaper than everything else. I couldn't find any reason to spend the extra money on a different gun.

I own an SR9c and my brother has a Shield 9mm. Both have been 100% reliable and I am extremely accurate with my SR9c.
They are both great and if I could find one, I would buy a Shield 9mm for myself.

They're different guns. Single stack vs double stack. The SR9c isn't as thick as a lot of guns and it is a comfortable gun for me to carry IWB, but the Shield is THIN. Decide on which type of gun will be more practical for your carry.
In reality, both are difficult to find at this time. You should probably buy whichever one you see on the wall. You can't go wrong with either.

I have had to contact Ruger customer service about an old, worn out plastic magazine release for my early LCP and they quickly sent me a new metal one, no charge. They have great customer service. Like S&W, they make reliable high value guns and they will absolutely stand behind them.

I'd go M&P over Ruger 10 out of 7 days a week.

And I'm NO fan of Ruger's BS customer service. Oh there's a problem- you can pay to send it in to us and we may or may not repair it and if we do repair it you may or may not get charged.

I'd go M&P over Ruger 10 out of 7 days a week.

And I'm NO fan of Ruger's BS customer service. Oh there's a problem- you can pay to send it in to us and we may or may not repair it and if we do repair it you may or may not get charged.

My experience with them is opposite that, they paid shipping both ways, twice, and paid the fee for the background check for the replacement from the dealer that I got it through. When I had a problem with my new Ruger, they got it ironed out. It took some time, but in the end I owned a 100% replacement firearm for no money out of pocket for the repair or replacement. They even sent me a stainless replacement that I requested because I didn't like the black slide as much as the stainless one, but could only find the black slide one when I was shopping for it. I did not exactly expect them to do it, but they did and I was very happy. I got exactly what I wanted, with no out of pocket expense for their screw-up. What more can you ask for.

I am very happy with my SR9c that I carry daily, as well as the SR9 I own. They are great firearms for the money. Good luck with your search!

My experience with them is opposite that, they paid shipping both ways, twice, and paid the fee for the background check for the replacement from the dealer that I got it through. When I had a problem with my new Ruger, they got it ironed out. It took some time, but in the end I owned a 100% replacement firearm for no money out of pocket for the repair or replacement. They even sent me a stainless replacement that I requested because I didn't like the black slide as much as the stainless one, but could only find the black slide one when I was shopping for it. I did not exactly expect them to do it, but they did and I was very happy. I got exactly what I wanted, with no out of pocket expense for their screw-up. What more can you ask for.

I am very happy with my SR9c that I carry daily, as well as the SR9 I own. They are great firearms for the money. Good luck with your search!
I actually just got my SR40C back from Ruger after taking out to shoot the first time and having it fail to eject and fail to load. Ruger's customer service was awesome. THEY paid for next day air shipping, and it took around 8-9 days from shipping it to them till I had it back in my hands with a brand new barrel and ejector. Cost out of my pocket, $0

Again, to all, I really appreciate the help! I don't care about 9mm, but thanks. Yes Ruger will answer the phone call for a faulty piece but they REALLY don't have a warranty and they are very proud that they sell many products without the need. Most people are not aware including behind the counter guys. The Ruger seems to shoot tighter groups (at 50 ft) but the S&W has less to hang on to and I shot it less. Hickok45 put grip tape on his review product so WTF. I love the go buy both attitude, and maybe I will someday but so far the Shield looks like a better Summer CC (thinner by quite a bit), and the Ruger SR40c gives mag extensions for range use. Can I ask if anyone else has heard of trigger reset problems with striker fired Rugers?

Carry a Shield every day, as do my two sons, a son in law, and my dad. 2 in .40 and 3 in 9mm.

Not ONE single problem with any of them. They have all digested every load we fed them, ejected it, and swallowed more. For such a tiny pistol, the recoil is very mild, especially of the 9mm versions.

They disappear on your body, with no one ever being able to tell when you are concealed carrying, if you use the proper holster. My son in law is a thin and trim 5'8" and multiple times I've asked if he was carrying because I couldn't tell after watching closely for few minutes, same goes with my sons, who are more heavily muscled. My sons have asked me the same, and I'm 6'3" and not so thin and trim, (or muscular!).

I have multiple Rugers, and have had minimal problems, but S&W hit a home run with the Shield as far as I can tell!

Yes Ruger will answer the phone call for a faulty piece but they REALLY don't have a warranty and they are very proud that they sell many products without the need.

Just curious, but what more could you ask for from a company? If you have a problem, Ruger will take care of you. There are tons of stories online about Ruger's customer service, the vast majority that I have seen are good experiences, as have been my own experiences with them.

The SR compact series works well in a couple of different ways also. This may be good if you only have this one gun, but the SR40c can do duty as a CC with the short mag, as well as a range gun and home defense pistol with the long mag. If you have other guns for the range or HD duty, then it may not be a big deal. The Shield definitely beats it in the CC department. The multi-use aspect was one of the reasons I picked the SR9c initially over the SR9 because I could carry it as well as use it for HD and range use. I eventually got a SR9 as well because I really loved my compact, and I needed the full-size experience. I have not shot a SR40c, but I hear they are relatively low recoil due to the low bore axis. If you can conceal the SR40c, I would recommend it because you will be getting increased capacity, as well as a gun that will be easier to handle if you ever have to use it in a life or death situation. Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide on!

That doesn't seem a fair comparison to me.
Shouldn't we be comparing the SR9c to the M&P0c or the shield to the LC9?
My vote is Smith any day.

Yes, I've had perfect satisfaction with Ruger customer service, but why get a gun with a great warranty when you can get a gun that doesn't need a warranty?
I'd rather have a gun I don't have to send to the manufacturer because it works rather than a gun whose manufacturer will fix or replace no questions asked.

I have both but always carry the Shield when carrying. It's a fantastic small thin pistol. I love it, but the Ruger is also a really great pistol as well. For concealed carrying I would go with the Shield.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top