JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey all,

I'm getting ready to do my CC course and the pistol I have for now is the S&W M&P 9 mm Shield. I currently have OWB holster that just doesn't feel concealed unless I'm wearing something super baggy. It also seems a bit large for IWB. AM I trying to use something that is too large for CC?

Any suggestions on technique, placement or IWB that wouldn't be painful to wear? I know there are other CC threads and have read a few. I am looking for info specific to the weapon or suggestions to get something smaller.

thanks

I've carried a 9mm Shield w/crimson trace laser grip with 8 round magazine inserted and another 8 round backup in my left back pocket for years everyday in all conditions doing all kinds of activities (bicycling, hiking, working, shop, yard work, etc.).

I use a well armed women IWB holster found here:

In The Waistband Holster by The Well Armed Woman.

I've got the black carbon fiber looking one. This holster is the best one I've ever had and has lasted being used nearly 7 days out of every week for about 3 years now and is still going strong. Retention is just right, comfort is great, and material is good quality.

For reference, I'm 6'2" and 185lb pretty fit young adult, and carry the firearm in the 6 o clock position- small of the back. I know people may say don't do that but I think they're being ridiculous for too many reasons. Appendix carry? Sorry I carry one in the chamber with no safety; I'm in my 20s and still want my dick to work.

I have several other pistols and holsters that I use but the Shield and the WAW IWB holster takes the cake for everyday CCing. I shoot that pistol better than any other magazine fed pistol I own.

Additional note, I also HIGHLY recommend the LCP Custom or LCP gen 2 for lazy mans conceal carry. Great, reliable, and accurate little pistol that is great at putting lead down range accurately if you're doing your part training on a regular basis. I picked up a LCP custom used off of here for cheap which came with a pocket holster for it. It fits perfectly in a back pocket with the 6 round mag inserted. I carry the back up 7 round mag in my front left pocket (I'm right handed). Great little pistol. The plain jane gen 1 LCPs are kinda crappy in my opinion because of their bubblegum sites and trigger. Spend the extra couple bucks to get the custom or gen 2.

I also conceal carry a G19 sometimes with a Ramora IWB holster or Black Hawk CQC OWB holster. It's good but bulky and uncomfortable when compared to the Shield and especially the LCP. I shoot my Shield better than the Glock but that's probably because I shoot my Shield more than any other firearm I own since that's what's typically going to be on me everyday.

In conclusion, the well armed women have great IWB holsters for the Shield with or without the CT laser. However, it's totally up to individual preference when we're talking CCing in comfort. We all have different body shapes which makes for differences of opinions when it comes to what's comfortable. I hope this helps.

i was thinking of picking up an lcp but my friend has a gen 2 and it just doesnt fit my hand nice. I'll try to make the shield work as i love shooting it. And i owuld rather put the lcp funds in for a larger handgun for when its not concealed. G20/21 most likely..3

Thanks for the write-up though. I already bought one but the alien and the well armed woman ones both look nice and may be collected over the next couple paychecks.

i was thinking of picking up an lcp but my friend has a gen 2 and it just doesnt fit my hand nice. I'll try to make the shield work as i love shooting it. And i owuld rather put the lcp funds in for a larger handgun for when its not concealed. G20/21 most likely..3

Thanks for the write-up though. I already bought one but the alien and the well armed woman ones both look nice and may be collected over the next couple paychecks.

Good choice for full sized. It's a good idea to have a full sized fighting pistol. A .45/10mm is a solid choice. Great for blasting through cinder blocks, car doors, etc.

The LCPs are so small they probably don't fit anyone's hands nicely unless you're a 5 year old child. Through practice I think most people can accurately shoot the little guy out to 25 yards.

Sounds good on the holster. Best of luck. Enjoy the Shield!

side note, I bought an alien gear holster once for an LCR .357 mag. It was bubblegum. The revolver wouldn't fit snug inside of the holster no matter what kind of fasteners or set up I arranged it in (they come with a lot of little bits to customize the holster). Just my 2 cents. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

well, ill do some research and see if there are a lot of complaints on the alien gear. i got a little leather one from one of the early comments. Full leather, I think made in the USA and only $37 so if I don't like it.... no biggie.

I have a Sticky pocket holster for mine which surprisingly works well in a couple pairs of Carhartt painter/carpenter pants. The pockets are angled unlike typical jeans pockets. For OWB I use a Wright Leather Works Predator holster, seems well made and conceals pretty well for me, probably because I wear looser fitting clothes ....... not hang down around my bubblegum loose. Hmmmm, relaxed fit, yeah ..... that's it, relaxed fit.

lol, I enjoy old style jeans. Not quite relaxed fit but not like the ridiculous package huggers of today. Thing is I will be CC a lot on my motorcycle, backwoods trips and all gotta have my warm fuzzy with me and the back pocket just doesn't seem like a way to go for me. That being said I will probably pick one up in the future to try out after so many positive comments.

I tried to wear a Shield on an ankle holster and while it did technically conceal ok, I couldn't get used to having the bulk around my lower leg. I was paranoid someone would notice it and think I was wearing one of those monitoring bracelets.
Having said that, I wear the larger M&P 9c on my right hip with a Galco IWB and it feels just fine. I barely even think about it anymore and it conceals just fine. I'm also a bigger (in width) guy so I tend to wear baggy clothing anyways.

just got thge Braid holster. Looks well made and fits snug. Letting it ride my hip right now just to warm it up. Any break in suggestions? I like it a lot so far but I think I iwll be checking out the well armed woman and the betty as well.

Kinda wish they just called them reduced size but at least they arent pink ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top