Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

S&W M&P 15 .22 magazine failure

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by bellarum, Jul 22, 2013.

1. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

I was out plinking yesterday (and bagging trash) when my M&P 15 .22 started jamming. It turned out to be the magazine. The magazine body started coming apart and allowing the follower to push the round up through the top. The rim of the case has caused two small grooves in the feed lips where the round remains trapped and won't feed. This mag has less than 1000 rnds through it. I'm awaiting a response from S&W. In the mean time has anyone ever had this problem before?

photo[1].jpg

2. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

My rifle still brand new, I order 5 mags from midway usa and they all still brand new. Please keep,this thread update :)

3. yskippy

yskippy Tigard Life Member Lifetime Supporter

I checked all 4 of my mags (that I put several hundred rounds through each) and none of them show any wear like yours. Please keep us posted on progress

4. Modly

Modly Beaverton Active Member

I haven't kept a round count per mag yet, but I'm sure that at least one of my mags has hit 2000 rounds by now.

I haven't seen any problems with mine yet, and I'm still rocking a mag that experienced an OOB explosion.

5. bellarum

I have lots of stuff that isn't broken because it's new:) I went ahead and posted this over at the S&W forum to see what they say. I'll make sure to post any news.

6. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

Never had any failure with mine, and well over 2 bricks through it.

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  7. bellarum

S&W got back to me today and said they will replace it for free if I send it back to them on my dime. Good enough for me.

8. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

The only 22 semi more reliable by a thin margin for me is the HK/Umarex 416 or a 10/22 after a lot of tinkering and with only BX-25 mags.

9. Focer

Focer Mt Hood Active Member

they did the same for me. even sent my replacement while these where backordered every where.

10. Benihaus

Benihaus Portland American

I have 3k out of 1 and 2k out of another, both look new as far as the plastiwelds go... my tactical plinker on the other hand has 60 through it and probably only 40 fired.

11. bellarum

Great timing... S&W was on a shut down from 7-29 to 8-9 and posted the "expect delays" on their site:) Funny they don't email you this info while you have an open ticket for repair/replace. Not a big deal but, if you were wondering why they weren't getting back to you; you wouldn't know until you attempt to contact them again and the info comes to you in the auto reply. Just sharing the update.

12. bellarum

They called me today and agreed that it failed as I described it. Now all I have to do is wait until they get more in. I have other mags in the mean time.

13. bellarum

I guess they have plenty of mags to ship with new rifles but, not enough to replace em for of us that already bought rifles. Just venting. I still have mags that work. (for now). They say the mags are supplied by a vendor that can't keep up. They need a Magpul level vendor! Magpul did everything possible to come out of the darkness and did it in record time! Prices and supplies for Pmags went back to normal within 7 months.

14. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast Close to Oregon City Active Member

I must've shot at least 2000 rounds through each of several magazines and I've not experienced any problems at all with the gun or magazines (they look/function almost like brand new). It's been super reliable and will shoot pretty much any ammo. This is probably a bad magazine that they ought to replace.

15. bellarum

Update.....still waiting.

16. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Seems I remember reading somewhere about not using cleaning solvents on plastic magazines.

Just a warning....:paranoid:

Jack...:cool:

17. bellarum

Maybe right. Zero to do with this failure.

18. bellarum

update...4 months in....called S&W today.....waiting for reply.

19. 1990Turbo

1990Turbo St.Helens Active Member

I know may not be what you wanna hear but any Fred Meyer that does guns and ammo has these mags on the shelf for 20 bucks.

20. bellarum

Nice! I'll check that out. My son works there.