JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While not a K38 , we had a cherry Colt Official Police from 1960 once at the pawn shop where I worked.
Long story short the customer wanted to return it about a week later after buying it.
He had shot +p's thru it and the cylinder stop and hand were now broken.
Who knows what really happened but ....
I wouldn't use +p's if the Smith was mine .
Andy

Last Edited:
If it doesn't have a stamped model number on the frame it's advised that you not shoot +P thru it.

Yes many people do it, and you could. But I personally would just hand load for it and slowly work your loads up.

I wouldn't make a steady diet of it. Are you wanting to carry it? If that's the case, I don't think a few rounds are going to kill it, but I would probably not choose +P regularly for it.

image.jpeg image.jpeg No stamped number

It will be in the carry rotation. This revolver is a joy to shoot and one of the best...if not the best trigger of any handgun I own. 19 and counting.

I have two Model 15s, one of which is a pre-15. Both have squibbed on standard velocity plated reloaded ammo. Bulged and replaced the barrel on one that went unrecognized. Ouch. Rather than shoot +P reloads, I've decided to go with standard velocity hard cast bullets on these in order to avoid squibs and further wear on these two fine revolvers that still lock up tight.

Interestingly it only happened shooting 125gr bullets and HP38. That's a bad cocktail for anything longer than a snubbie. Since changing to 158gr bullets and CFE pistol, no more squibs. The roses are enjoying that bad jar of HP38 now. But I'm still going to pickup a box of hard cast for those black beauties.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top