JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey...what do you guys think of this?:confused:
I got this in the mail today from "GUN TESTS" and read it and it just didnt seem very scientific to me (I might be wrong)...yet this company is making recommendations:
[Model 629 was plagued by a cylinder that unlocked...leaving the chamber out of alignment] on what seems to be one test per gun?
I dont own either gun and I want to know from those who own the Model 629...DO YOU THINK THEY ARE RIGHT? :cool:

guncomp.jpg

I've been looking at this model to buy...so I'm wondering what to believe :s0131: now!

I don't own either gun, nor will likely buy a revolver. But after reading the results of the 'test', it seems to me that it is more like an advertisement for the Ruger than any 'test'

Just my thoughts........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not think I have a problem. I'm told that the first step to recovery is to admit your problem..... Screw them. I have no problem.

Locked up after every shot

Ha! Who ever wrote that never fired a revolver in their life.

If the cylinder unlocked after ignition, it's because a 'limp wrist' was shooting it and double pulled the trigger. There are YouTube videos of inexperienced shooters double firing .500 S&W revolvers the same way. It's the shooter, not the machinery.

Ha! Who ever wrote that never fired a revolver in their life.

If the cylinder unlocked after ignition, it's because a 'limp wrist' was shooting it and double pulled the trigger. There are YouTube videos of inexperienced shooters double firing .500 S&W revolvers the same way. It's the shooter, not the machinery.

Actually early model 29s had issues with the cylinder lock not holding under full recoil. But 629s aren't plagued with this problem, they don't like particularly stiff loads, but function fine under the factory ammo you're going to find at the store.

Never trust things you read, especially in magazine articles. This is obviously biased towards the ruger, because I have yet to find a factory ruger trigger that has a DA pull better than a S&W. :p

Actually early model 29s had issues with the cylinder lock not holding under full recoil. But 629s aren't plagued with this problem, they don't like particularly stiff loads, but function fine under the factory ammo you're going to find at the store.

Never trust things you read, especially in magazine articles. This is obviously biased towards the ruger, because I have yet to find a factory ruger trigger that has a DA pull better than a S&W. :p

I've read about the mid to late 70's model 29's having this issue. I have never encountered it myself and have shot maybe two dozen M29's from that time period. I well tell you that you can shoot the screws loose in a 29 with heavy loads. That's something I have never done in any DA Ruger. I don't beat on my revolvers like I did back then.

I played with light hammer springs in a SRH, I could get it to a very nice, S&W like DA trigger pull, but it was not reliable at all. I keep the factory spring now and have learned to live with it. A coil spring gun is just not as smooth.

I played with light hammer springs in a SRH, I could get it to a very nice, S&W like DA trigger pull, but it was not reliable at all. I keep the factory spring now and have learned to live with it. A coil spring gun is just not as smooth.

Yeah the coil springs are a little more rugged, but hard to get nice pulls out of. Also the rugers have beefed up action parts, which make the gun stronger, but means that you usually have more mass to move in DA.

I used to get Gun Tests Magazine for a while, and their testing setup is to go to a local gun store, buy the gun, and test it. No freebies from manufacturers (or that's what they claim). Also, the guns aren't hand tuned and tested before getting sent to the magazine writers. The claim is that this all leads to more accurate reporting.

Their biggest flaw is that they only test one of each gun. If you got an anomaly, a perfectly good gun could get dissed. Likewise, if you got lucky with a crappy brand, it could come out smelling like roses... Just the way they do their tests.

Amish

I used to get Gun Tests Magazine for a while, and their testing setup is to go to a local gun store, buy the gun, and test it. No freebies from manufacturers (or that's what they claim). Also, the guns aren't hand tuned and tested before getting sent to the magazine writers. The claim is that this all leads to more accurate reporting.

Their biggest flaw is that they only test one of each gun. If you got an anomaly, a perfectly good gun could get dissed. Likewise, if you got lucky with a crappy brand, it could come out smelling like roses... Just the way they do their tests.

Amish

I agree that testing ONE of an entire species is a poor way to judge. What really bugged me is they go straight from store to range. No cleaning, no lubing. Given that most guns are shipped very DRY so that the packaging stays clean, it's not a good test of what a properly lubed gun could do. So to me Gun Tests means bad tests.......................elsullo :(

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top