JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi there. While I wait for my trade in 10-6 to arrive at my FFl, I found a 2in .38spec barrel in my parts box. I can't remember when i picked it up but i believe it's for a non pinned K frame. Can I use a non pinned barrel on a 10-6?

Here are some measurements from the barrel.

Diameter of threads is .536
Throat diameter is .498
Diameter at the flat on the bottom of the throat is .474

20191202_220546.jpg 20191202_220530.jpg

You can either drill out a new groove in the barrel once it's installed correctly and pin it, or you can skip that part and blind plug the hole with a section of the pin, so long as the thread fit is very snug. If it's not snug, plan on doing it right.

Drilling it out for a pin is what I anticipated doing, I assume the threads are the same. Just want to make sure it's not a J frame barrel.

Does the barrel screw in correctly or is there resistance? Use a thread gauge on the new barrel and the frame threads to be sure they match before you commit to a barrel wrench.

Let us know your findings. Fitting a different barrel to a gun is more than screwing it in and pinning it. Not breaking a drill bit off, timing the rotation of the new barrel snug against the frame without cant, and setting the cylinder gap all require machine skills and lathe use if things aren't perfect. If Murphy strikes, sent it to Velzey. His skills are mad and prices low.

I'm not planning on doing it myself, I'm pretty handy but I don't have the equipment. Where is Velzey located? Is that the business name?

Looks like a J frame barrel to me. The length for the ejector rod stop will probably be too short for the ejector rod on you K frame model 10-6.

But I don't know for sure, just speculating here, not an expert.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top