JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok I have seen several S&W auto's of recent and had issue's with these...Smith & Wesson Bodyguard, Sigma 9mm and a Walther P22. Two of the three have had jamming issues, mis-fed or just plain feeding issues. One of these had a safety issue of firing when the safety was switched off!!!!! :huh:

Al are NIB guns and not what the consumer needs or should be dealing with in a new gun.

My question is: Why is this occurring in these guns from S&W? Quality Control? Maybe S&W should focus on the everyday gun and not thier High end Military & Govt guns.

Be nice ...but lets hear both sides on this one.:s0131:

Many new designs such as the bodyguard .380 have some initial problems after they are introduced, Even some of the new Ruger designs (The benchmark in reliable, american made firearms) has had some issues with their newly released designs. The great thing about dealing with outstanding American manufacturing companies is that they will stand by their products and resolve any issues that come up. From what I have heard, S&W has already fixed the initial issues with the .380 and the newer models appear to work great. The sigma series has been discontinued and has been replaced with the improved SD series of pistols not to mention there was nothing wrong with the design or function of the sigma the main issue appeared to be gun snobs who would expect nothing less than a competition match trigger out of the box in a $300 pistol. In regards to the walther p22, well those are just for fun (Plinking cans in the back yard) and if your expecting any kind of true reliability out of a .22lr semi-auto, blowback operated, pot metal pistol that has to push the entire slide back to cycle the action than you're in trouble. I have heard a sneaky rumor that Ruger, S&W, and Browning all make .22lr pistols that are superbly accurate and reliable out of the box.

As for your safety issue, I always prefer my firearms fire when the safety is switched off!!

Ok I have seen several S&W auto's of recent and had issue's with these...Smith & Wesson Bodyguard, Sigma 9mm and a Walther P22. Two of the three have had jamming issues, mis-fed or just plain feeding issues. One of these had a safety issue of firing when the safety was switched off!!!!! :huh:

Al are NIB guns and not what the consumer needs or should be dealing with in a new gun.

My question is: Why is this occurring in these guns from S&W? Quality Control? Maybe S&W should focus on the everyday gun and not thier High end Military & Govt guns.

Be nice ...but lets hear both sides on this one.:s0131:

What ammo? Factory loads or gun show reloads?

Eight U.S. Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

I have found many women, kids and men that enjoy .22lr for other than plinking cans in the back yard. They are offen used as a great traing platform in the Military, Police and family environments due to the amo cost savings. guns released for purchased should not need to be returned for repairs as soon as they are purchased, any brand or any type.

"As for your safety issue, I always prefer my firearms fire when the safety is switched off!! " I have never known anyone that prefers a gun that discharges without the trigger being depressed. Just to clarify...

Thanks for the input, that is why I posted this.

Any ammo from govt issue to top of the line... If it does not make it into the breach it can not fire. When it does and fouls then I look at ejectors or springs?

I can only speak to the 686, 629 revolvers, M&P rifles and M&P handguns and never had any hiccups with any of mine. I'm not a fan of the Sigma line or bodyguard line. They just don't fill a functional niche for me. I have shot the Walther P22 many times and they can be picky on 22lr, but CCI mini-mags work great in them. I prefer the Ruger 22/45 line of semi-auto 22s handguns.

I've always held smith and wesson's revolvers up to be exceptional, and their 1911's are quite nice. i dont have much experience with sigmas but i tend to not buy autos that are less than 400 bucks. the SD9 looks to me like a bastard child of the M&P and the sigma. while the M&P is an accurate weapon and has a nice, smooth action there are some essential flaws to the weapon that i dont think should be found in a gun that costs $500-550. i only have a few points i wanna throw out there:
the trigger is sloppy. it's gritty and has a very long reset, almost full travel.
the slide lock is sticky on most of them. when locked out of battery the lock wont release when you press it down.
fortunately a good thing is being able to slam the mag in and having the slide drop without having to manipulate the slide lock, resulting in good speed reloads. Un fortunately, if you strike upwards and to the front of the gun instead of directly into the mag well the baseplate will dislodge and dump the whole magazine on the ground leaving an empty mag body still in the well. i can actually repeat this with any stock mag that comes with the gun. of course, you could just train yourself around it and develop the muscle memory to do it right every time.

these problems can be fixed by sending it back to S&W and having them retouch it, or by calling your favorite gunsmith. some companies make drop-in triggers and custom springs and such so there are ways to turn this mediocre pistol into a real slick shooter.
but there's a line between having a weapon customized, and having to send a weapon you just spent 500 bucks on off to someone else to make it actually work.

I've always held smith and wesson's revolvers up to be exceptional, and their 1911's are quite nice. i dont have much experience with sigmas but i tend to not buy autos that are less than 400 bucks. the SD9 looks to me like a bastard child of the M&P and the sigma. while the M&P is an accurate weapon and has a nice, smooth action there are some essential flaws to the weapon that i dont think should be found in a gun that costs $500-550. i only have a few points i wanna throw out there:
the trigger is sloppy. it's gritty and has a very long reset, almost full travel.
the slide lock is sticky on most of them. when locked out of battery the lock wont release when you press it down.
fortunately a good thing is being able to slam the mag in and having the slide drop without having to manipulate the slide lock, resulting in good speed reloads. Un fortunately, if you strike upwards and to the front of the gun instead of directly into the mag well the baseplate will dislodge and dump the whole magazine on the ground leaving an empty mag body still in the well. i can actually repeat this with any stock mag that comes with the gun. of course, you could just train yourself around it and develop the muscle memory to do it right every time.

these problems can be fixed by sending it back to S&W and having them retouch it, or by calling your favorite gunsmith. some companies make drop-in triggers and custom springs and such so there are ways to turn this mediocre pistol into a real slick shooter.
but there's a line between having a weapon customized, and having to send a weapon you just spent 500 bucks on off to someone else to make it actually work.

You could nit-pick like this with every gun produced from High Point and Taurus to Glock and S&W to H&K and Sig. All have small things that are not perfect and need to be trained around (perhaps not breaking the S&W mags, but they'll fix that I'm sure). Triggers, slide stops, mag releases, etc. are all different and can be complained about. If you are used to shooting the reset on a Glock or 1911, then the reset on an M&P is sloppy. Likewise, if you're used to shooting the sloppy trigger on an XD, then the reset on the M&P isn't bad. If you are used to functioning the slide stop as a slide stop, and not a slide release, then a stiff slide stop shouldn't matter (i.e. put in a full mag, pull rearward on the slide, and release. They do loosen up however).

Every gun has issues. Disagreeing with your points wasn't so much to disagree with you, but rather to show that there are alternate ways to look at anything. Everything is a matter of how you look at things and what you compare things to...

Sorry, but you get what you pay for. My EDC, HK45c works just fine.

What are you saying? You need to spend $750 on an autoloading handgun to get a good one?
I have been buying Smith & Wesson autos since 1980 and consider them a very good value. I have owned 5 M&Ps in .40 & .45 and have had good experiences with all of them. The .45 compact is a fantastic blend of accuracy, power, capacity, and size, all for about 550 bucks. I'd put the Glocks & XDs in the same boat but the changeable back straps and Novak sights put the Smith out front. Even so, they are still great values in the sub 600 dollar range. All together I've probably owned 3 dozen or so S&W autoloaders in my life & honestly never had a bad one. In full disclosure, I've never owned a Sigma or Body Guard or any other Smith that developed a reputation as a hunk 'o dung.

I speak only for myself but I am a fan of the third generation Smiths, I own a 3914, 6906 and a 4516-2. I have fed the 4516 ammunition that would make my Kimbers puke. I have put my kimbers and high powers in the back of the safe because my carry weapons are the 3rd gen S&W's. I need to practice more but the one thing I can say about them are that they are very reliable. I do not like what S&W is making now a days for handguns - maybe I am a snob but plastic has never done it for me. I think that there are alot of cheap guns with exspensive price tags out there from many different manufactures that leave a lot to be deisred.

James

I dig the 3rd gen Smiths too. Like you, I have a 4513 that'll feed empty cases and would probably cycle dog turds if I tried it. All metal, simple design, & time proven by law enforcement. If forced to have only one handgun, it would be a 3rd gen S&W.

You need a broader brush to properly address the issue, and that is:
Most gun problems occur with First Generation Guns. Don't like it,
Wait for older gun to come along. Myself, I am constantly amused
by folks who just hafta get the newest POS out there, they find that
many times, they must either dump it on someone else, or expend a lot
of energy (& money) to get the factory to make it right. My solution is
much easier...

i actually agree with MountainBear, Hawaiian, and Reggie on their respective points.

i'll say that any weapon can be nit-picked and any situation can be what-if'd to death, but my primary issue with the M&P is the slide stop and the magazine base plates. yeah, i dont like the trigger, but it just feels too gritty to me; too sloppy. as much fun as i had shooting it, as it was a comfortable and accurate gun to shoot, the trigger was mushy and the increased travel slowed my double-taps down noticeably.

I handle M&P's and XD's all day long- springfield did a better job, just plain and simple. the smith has some great potential, though.

hawaiian, one of my standard carry guns is an HK USP40c and it has never malfunctioned on me; i can't speak well enough about it. On the other hand, to Reggie, my M&P40 always functioned very smoothly and there were no major malfunctions during firing (except the mags falling apart).

my 3rd gen smiths work perfect

my sigma always feeds and fires even when dirty........ the trigger does suck when the pistol isn't freshly cleaned and lubed.

my 2 walther/s&w p22's both work pretty well now ( with cheap 22's) that they are broken in as long as I give them a quick cleaning every 100-150 rnds

that said most problems with a semi pistol can usually be traced back to bad mags and I would bet that the mags are outsorced to another company. I think every mag company should have mecgars quality control

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top