JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have been wanting the new Smith & Wesson 9mm Shield for concealed carry but was on a waiting list to get one....
Found a great deal on a Smith & Wesson 9c Compact and bought it not knowing when the Shield might come in.
Well,, 2 weeks after it did show up and I bought it as well......
Finally took both of them out to the gun range (TCGC) for a side by side comparison.

I shot the Shield first, feels nice in your hand, recoil is very controllable for such a small slim gun.
At 25 yards, accuracy was actually quite poor.
But this gun is designed for concealed carry which would most likely be at much closer range in a real life situation.
It comes with one short 7 round magazine and one extended length 8 round magazine.
It didn't really make a difference to me on gripping the gun, I guess my hands are on the small side.
Obviously the short clip would be easier to conceal.....

Next, I shot the 9c Compact.
The grip is much more natural and comfortable since this is a wider double stack gun.
The barrel is slightly longer and it showed in much better accuracy at 25 yards.
It comes with 2 12 round magazines, one with a flat bottom plate and one with a finger extension bottom plate.
I really like the the way the finger extension feels and shot it mostly this way.

So,,, what does it come down to....
When you hold the two next to each other,, they are actually almost the same size...
The Shield is slightly shorter but just as tall, the main advantage is the slim single stack design.
I think I actually like the 9c Compact better all around though...
I have custom IWB holsters made for both from the guys at MK Tactical in Hillsboro.
Concealing the Shield might be slightly easier but I'm still on the fence between the two.....

Need to go out and shoot them some more and get more familiar with each....:s0155:
Updates soon.......

Here's a photo for reference.....:gun08:

side by side.jpg

side by side.jpg

Good write up. Those are sure pretty together.

I am sure you are right about the height being the same. BUT, with that mag with the extension on it, the 9C looks significantly taller than the Shield.

I am the opposite. I prefer single stacks. My scrawny little body needs all the help can get to conceal something.

Good write up. Those are sure pretty together.

I am sure you are right about the height being the same. BUT, with that mag with the extension on it, the 9C looks significantly taller than the Shield.

I am the opposite. I prefer single stacks. My scrawny little body needs all the help can get to conceal something.

The pic is a little deceiving from the angle it was shot at.
I'll see if I can get a better comparison photo/s.....

The other difference between the two is the Shield has a thumb safety.
The 9c Compact has no safety at all other than the trigger.
I guess that comes down to your personal comfort level of carrying a loaded firearm.

Yours is the first review I've seen, granted I'll admit I haven't seen them all, where the Shield had accuracy issues. Might have to go back and start reading range reports more closely. I really want a Shield in 9mm as my new carry piece.

m&p compact were uncomfortable for me, so I settled with xd-subcompact for now. I will get shield down the road.
Did you try the different backstraps on the 9c Compact??
I like the smallest one, it fits my hand like a glove......
The shield does not have a replaceable backstrap, it is permanent...

Yours is the first review I've seen, granted I'll admit I haven't seen them all, where the Shield had accuracy issues. Might have to go back and start reading range reports more closely. I really want a Shield in 9mm as my new carry piece.
Like I said, This was the first time out with both of them, First impression was the Compact felt more natural to me.
I just need more time with the Shield to get it broke in......:s0155:
It really is nice to conceal carry IWB being so slim......

This was my dilemma when I was looking for a compact 9mm- MP9 Shield vs. MP9c. I held both of them and even though I have big hands, I just preferred the shield. It was a little lighter, a little slimmer, and since they were so hard to find at the time I was looking, the fact that I was able to get my hands on one prompted me to go with the Shield. I have since given it to my wife since she loves shooting it over her LCP. The triggers on M&P's are just so crisp and you really don't appreciate the M&P line until you actually shoot one.

Went back out to TCGC and put 125 rounds thru the Shield today.
I only shot the Shield and left the 9c Compact in the case....
I felt much more comfortable with it after a few more magazines downrange.
Getting used to the smaller size........:gun19:

I will say that accuracy is not that bad for a very short barrel..
(obviously the shorter distance between the sights will make it harder to aim at 25 yards)
For it's size and reliability, and ease of concealment,,,
this gun is absolutely the best conceal carry gun on the market today as far as I'm concerned.
It fires smoothly and I really like the trigger.
Tried 4 different brands of ammo and it never missed a beat......

The pic is a little deceiving from the angle it was shot at.
I'll see if I can get a better comparison photo/s.....

The other difference between the two is the Shield has a thumb safety.
The 9c Compact has no safety at all other than the trigger.
I guess that comes down to your personal comfort level of carrying a loaded firearm.

the Ruger AR9c has always had a saftey on it.

Ruger® SR9c

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads