Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

S&W 66-4 Front Site

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by 9mmMike, Jul 21, 2011.

1. 9mmMike

9mmMike Gladstone, OR Member

OK. I have had this gun for 15 yrs or so. (66-4 2.5") Have had a CT grip on it for the last 5-6 yrs. I am wanting to replace the front sight if possible. After some research on the net, I am readong that this should be possible, but I do not see where my site is pinned in place. Looks to me like the entire ramp and front site are one piece along with the barrel. Can someone enlighten this Revolver mechanical moron a little. Thanks in advance

2. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Why would you want to do this? That particular six-gun will only appreciate in value. Unless you start modifying it.

3. 9mmMike

9mmMike Gladstone, OR Member

I am not a collector, but rather a shooter and user of my firearms and want to make it a little more functional for my needs. Not in it to make money. If it is really pinned in place, I can always put a stock one back on.. I believe that this is not one of the more sought after versions anyways, but I do love the gun.

4. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the 2.5" barrelled model should have a one piece sight and would need significant modification to change the front sight. The blade would need to be machined off and a groove would have to be cut for a new sight blade. The base would then have to be cross drilled with the new blade in place so a pin could be inserted. It's certainly a do-able job, but its a gunsmith job...

9mmMike and (deleted member) like this.
  5. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Like MB said, it can be done but requires skilled machine work.

What kind of front sight do you want to put on it?

6. ron

ron Vancouver, Washington Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I have had the orange insert changed to lime green. In my old Smiths. Worked much better. Does not require any cutting!! Please think long and hard before carving up that 66.