JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So we were out plinking and my buddy lets me shoot his 357, I loaded it with 6 rounds of .38 special UMC. After firing 3 rounds, on the 4th round there was a mis fire.

I could here a small pop and fizzle, I figure that was the primer going off but not the powder.

So now the lead of the bullet is sticking partially into the barrell and partially in the chamber so as now we can't get the gun unloaded. It now has a partialy fired round stuck in it and two more live rounds still in ti.

If any of this makes since, we would like some advice on how to proceed with making the gun operate again?

Thanks in advance.

use a wood dowl and lightly tap the bullet back into the cylinder. the you can get it opened and remove the bad round.

=====================================================

This is the first idea that occurred to me, just seems like it would take a leap of faith as I fear the powder igniting and being killed by dowel.

Then again there probably is no powder present in the bullet, as it did not ignite with the primer.

Is this a common problem with bulk loads? I thought revolvers were uber reliable.

Thank you Cyclesurvival.

you are perfectly safe in using a wood dowel to tap it back into the case,altho I prefer a brass rod..brass,never steel. dowels like to split and make a mess.
pur a little light oil down the barrel to help things along,just a few drops ought to do it.
not common for factory ammo to dothis,but 'stuff' happens,even with factrory ammo

I had this happen with a blackhawk reload, i think I got the primmer wet or oil or something and it partialy fired and stuck in the forcing cone, just took a few taps to get it back and open, but it shure screw a nice day of shooting, Im very carefull when handling my primers and powder now. heck it could of been coffee for all I know.

Primers are easy to foul - WD-40 and other thin lubricants are **** on them.

For the original poster, most likely there's no powder in the case. A primer alone is enough to move the bullet into the forcing cone. Ideally, you would clamp the revolver into a padded vise and tap the bullet back into the cylinder. It is perfectly safe.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top