JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody have experience with S&W 640? Good, bad? How is the DAO trigger? If bad can someone like @Velzey make it better? I like the idea of having a 357 however I have sold or traded every DAO I have ever owned.

Anyways, advice and info is appreciated!

Thank you

It can be smoothed out, and the pulled weight can be brought down to 8lbs or so. They really do feel alot better after an action job.
It has all MIM parts inside so you need to be careful polishing things up.

It can be smoothed out, and the pulled weight can be brought down to 8lbs or so. They really do feel alot better after an action job.
It has all MIM parts inside so you need to be careful polishing things up.
Thank you Velzey (had to look up MIM, first time I had ever heard that acronym)
My main concern is that after a trigger job I would still be unsatisfied with the pull weight?
Have you had any experience shooting this model?

If you have been unhappy with every DOA, then you most likely would not like the 640. But you need to realize this is a very popular piece that is used as a back-up gun. Its also strictly used as a personal defense gun.
It took me a little while to get use to shooting mine, but after I figured out how to shoot it, its quit accurate.

If you want a really good factory S&W trigger you should stick with the pre-lock pre MIM (metal injection molding) guns of the 80s and earlier -- those guns all had hand fitted lockwork and the run-of-the-mill factory trigger was in the same league as the current production "Performance Center" guns. Seriously the old ones are great.

If you want a really good factory S&W trigger you should stick with the pre-lock pre MIM (metal injection molding) guns of the 80s and earlier -- those guns all had hand fitted lockwork and the run-of-the-mill factory trigger was in the same league as the current production "Performance Center" guns. Seriously the old ones are great.
Yes, that is the direction i am leaning. Looking for an older one.

That's a smart move -- I have never regretted acquiring vintage top quality firearms. And, if you get a quality older piece it will appreciate in value, whereas just about anything you can buy new nowadays will never be worth more than what you paid retail.
Yes. Although I love modern firearms, my passion is more towards the oldies and goodies.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top