JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a used 5906. On the first outing with an old 15 round magazine it shot fine until the second to last round. I don't recall it failed to fire or didn't extract, but it did it twice. So I set it aside and moved to other guns. Fast forward to a few months. I bought two new magazines and shot today. A new 15 rd mag and on the second to last shot the shell did not extract. I cleared it and fired the last round. I think it may be the extractor but hoping there are some old timers around here that may have seen this before on these pistols.

Beyond that, it is an old heavy tank but up until those last rounds it was as accurate as anything new. The trigger feels pretty unique though. Very heavy double action and very light, almost weak feeling single action. I also wonder if one of the springs could be worn out. Thanks.

Yeah, you need to be a little more specific here with what is actually happening, failure to extract, then stating you cleared it, how?

Would a new extractor and spring be the fix for this anyway or are there other things that could be effecting this?

Just curious as a mechanically inclined person with an intrest in guns.

If the extractor is worn, maybe, but there isn't enough detail in the first post to say what is *actually* happening.

Problem: "I don't recall it failed to fire or didn't extract, but it did it twice"

The last time the case stayed in the chamber and the slide stayed back like it was the last round fired. There was still one round left in the magazine to be fire and it did. The first time it failed to eject was a few months back so I just remembered it didn't eject and not exactly what happened. But on both occasions once I loaded a full magazine it worked fine until the last two bullets. This time with a brand new magazine. The first time it was a very old and probably original mag from the 80s. Thanks.

If the extractor is worn, maybe, but there isn't enough detail in the first post to say what is *actually* happening.

Problem: "I don't recall it failed to fire or didn't extract, but it did it twice"

Sorry guys, I wrote this about 3am. I thought my brain was working.

In my experience these guns will shoot really poor ammunition that won't work in other guns so something is definitely wrong. But there are so many variables you will be very lucky if someone can guess the problem with limited information.

What kind of magazines are you using? IMO anything other than factory or MecGar is a crap shoot.

Is the gun clean and lubricated? Obvious question, but it can be a simple as a buildup of junk under the extractor preventing it from properly engaging the rim.

Is the lip on the extractor rounded over or have a bur? Are you able to move the extractor with your finger?

There should be a clean flat surface with a fine line down the shell side of the extractor. If you are able to move the extractor with your finger, replace spring. I love the 3rd gen smiths. Simple and heavy duty firearms.

Thanks for the input. I bought this pistol because of it's rep as a tank. It was relatively inexpensive but in over all good condition, but I don't mind experimenting. I've never broken a slide down. I had seen a video of Yankee Marshal tearing a Sig Sauer slide down and it didn't look too difficult.

On the other side of things, I just bought a Ram pickup yesterday and have to install some accessories so my wife can climb in the thing. Today she almost fell out forgetting it was much higher than our old SUV. Looking for Nerf Bars and a bed cover before I go back to work next week. (1:05am. I may have a sleep problem)

Hey nwslopoke,
I have worked on these before. Here are some problem with the case staying the chamber. Chamber need to be cleaned and polish. Is the extractor spring missing, broken, warn out? Extractor needs to be Cleaned? Does the extractor hold the case on the face of the bolt? Is the extractor fitted correctly? Is the extractor cut right? Does the extractor hold the casing so the ejecter can get at it, (to hit it right) to send the casing out of the gun?
If you over in the SE. 82nd & Foster Road, Portland, Oregon 97266 area give me a call, I will take a look at it. Tony 503-260-3906
:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads