JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
S&W 586 Question

Being the 586 is a L frame, I was looking at grips for and L. But I
find often a K & L markings on those fore sale, so what and I looking for to make sure it fits correctly?

Thank You

S&W K- and L-frames have the same grip size and the same grips work on both. An L-frame is essentially an N-frame with a K-frame grip size.

K and L frames are the same size, so the grips are interchangeable with the following exceptions.

Square frame grips "may" fit round gripframes, but round grips will not fit square gripframes.

S&W K- and L-frames have the same grip size and the same grips work on both. An L-frame is essentially an N-frame with a K-frame grip size.

K and L frames are the same size, so the grips are interchangeable with the following exceptions.

Square frame grips "may" fit round gripframes, but round grips will not fit square gripframes.

Ok so will have to check if the frame is round or not...

L and K frame guns are identical in the grip area. But not all K or L grips will fit all K or L guns.

K and L grip frames can be one of two configurations. There can be a round or square butt. The round is more versatile, as it can accommodate smaller and rounder-butt-shaped grips which are often preferred for concealed carry; but they can also accommodate the grips designed for square butt frames. (When you buy square-butt designed grips, there is normally a metal piece included that adapts the grip to the smaller round-butt grip frame if that's what you have.) If you have a square-butt gun, however, you can't use the round-butt style grips.

So SW did the obvious thing. At some point they quit making square butts. So as far as I know, current production K and L frame guns are all round-butt-frame, and will take any grip marked for a K or L frame. And any differences in the grip shape are in the replaceable grip only.

For older guns, I simply remove one grip panel to inspect the grip frame before buying. I take my little Lyman toolbox right to the store with me and ask permission, with the appropriate screwdriver right there so the gun store person doesn't have to look for a screwdriver, and can see I'm using the right kind of screwdriver, the kind that won't damage the screw. It's a good idea to inspect used revolvers beneath the grip anyway before buying.

Last Edited:
I know a think or two about grips. The 586 is an L-frame and came in either a Square butt and with barrels shorter than 4" in a round butt and then in the late 90's through the 2000 all they made were round butts. Maybe 8-10 years ago they started making them in Square butts again. Basically you have to take off the rubber grips to confirm if you have a round or square grip frame. Incidentally, the X frame, Judge and round butt K-frames will share the same grips as a round butt L-frame. Only the N-frame and J-frame have unique frame sizes in that regard though the J-frame profile did very a lot over the decades

I know a think or two about grips. The 586 is an L-frame and came in either a Square butt and with barrels shorter than 4" in a round butt and then in the late 90's through the 2000 all they made were round butts. Maybe 8-10 years ago they started making them in Square butts again. Basically you have to take off the rubber grips to confirm if you have a round or square grip frame. Incidentally, the X frame, Judge and round butt K-frames will share the same grips as a round butt L-frame. Only the N-frame and J-frame have unique frame sizes in that regard though the J-frame profile did very a lot over the decades

Lost of great information, thank you. appreciate everyone's help. Had no idea. :)

Smith & Wesson K, L, X and Z Frame grips are the same

Grips can come in 3 distinct model shapes
Round Butt
Round to Square Butt
Square Butt

N Frame grips are all their own as are J Frame.

Last Edited:
I actually became really busy trying to get my book done by the first few weeks in Jan, but thanks I am looking still. Maye have to wait until after the holidays.

I need some grips for my round butt 686. I see there are conversion grips available that fit on the round grip and provide the old school square grip. These are wood but as far as I know no G10 grips are available that can do this.

I need some grips for my round butt 686. I see there are conversion grips available that fit on the round grip and provide the old school square grip. These are wood but as far as I know no G10 grips are available that can do this.

Hogue makes round-to-square butt conversion grips both in G10 Extreme™ Series G10 - Full Size Conversion Grips - Round to Square - K and L Frame Round Butt - K and L Frame Revolvers - Grips for Smith & Wesson - Handgun Grips - Hogue Products and rubber Soft OverMolded Rubber - Full Size Conversion Grips - Round to Square - K and L Frame Round Butt - K and L Frame Revolvers - Grips for Smith & Wesson - Handgun Grips - Hogue Products

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top