JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think shooting 9mm without a moon clip is the problem (it seats on the mouth of the case) extracting is the problem. (The same as my 1917 colt and M25 Smith 45acp) as long as you can use a tool to push the fired case out from the front of the cylinder it isn't a problem. It is still faster than using an ejector rod like with a single action Ruger or SAA.

Good to know on the price as ( my friend ) paid no where near that was closer to 499.00 + 10.00 BGC. I went thru the firearm in great detail hardly any wear to see. I found out it was a Police Issue, guy moving couldn't take with was an ex-local Sheriff here. Being the gun is already in my, I mean his safe. Its not an option to switch.
Appreciate all the input looks like it was a good choice and a good deal. There was a 686 I did look at but I prefer the blued ( I mean my friend does :rolleyes:)

( Friend) Decided its too nice for a truck gun so going to get a Taurus 357 and use it in the truck and just keep 586 as a home backup it seem that was a great price and a even better investment.,..looking at others I would say its mint compared allot of others you see for sale out there.

One of my favorites models is heavy barreled 4" model 10.

I got one years ago in a sort of grab bag from a dealer, an older -3 that had seen considerable security details. Figured at worst it could be a little learning project. On arrival, it was cosmetically severely challenged. The lockwork & trigger however, were superb. Kept it for years before someone slathered a deep deep dee[ application of 'the green poultice' enough to soothe my anxiety of letting it go.....

I got one years ago in a sort of grab bag from a dealer, an older -3 that had seen considerable security details. Figured at worst it could be a little learning project. On arrival, it was cosmetically severely challenged. The lockwork & trigger however, were superb. Kept it for years before someone slathered a deep deep dee[ application of 'the green poultice' enough to soothe my anxiety of letting it go.....

The cylinder has zero movement when tested, trigger amazing so light and the hammer connects with such precision.
Not new to using a Revolver, new to ownership and didnt thing it was this nice until tested and it was very very smooth. I guess there is a reason the 586/686 were runners up against the Python.

I guess there is a reason the 586/686 were runners up against the Python.

I ran close comparison between my last 4" 686 & 4" Python. The used same holster, and even the very same speed loader!!!

I preferred the 686 simply because I could buy about 4 of them for what my Python was then worth. And I'd take a 686 any day for serious field use, although I prefer 44 special.

Same here, I chose Smiths over Pythons and other snakes.
But the price difference was only a couple hundred bucks, not a grand.
The more I looked into it, if one was going to go out of time or mess up, it was more than likely the Colt. Particularly magnum shooting.
I did prefer the smoothness of a Colt over S&W. If I knew what the $$ difference was going to come out to in the future,I would have done differently. But no regrets.

I have 5 S&W revolvers and 8 Colts. The Smith's work fine and are very serviceable but not in the league of the Colts. They never have been. Even when Smith had a superior design (like the Schofield) the engineering was poor enough that the frames stretched with use eventually becoming unusable. Even the great era of Smith and Wesson (the 50's?) handguns I own are no match for the quality of any of my Colts.The differences are subtle until pointed out, then you can't stop noticing them. Look at the crane fit of the Smith vs Colt or the Parts fit in general. Then pull the trigger both double and single action. I understand the price difference today is more than many people want to bear but don't pretend that Smith is equal to a Colt........

don't pretend that Smith is equal to a Colt.
I was strictly 'Colt' for many years despite the cost. I shot them all. A lot.
My old Brothers of the Spud were mostly Smith guys and went to great lengths to try to demonstrate the source of their fascination with them. The only Smith auto I could tolerate was the magnificent 41, as my bullseye club all had ample numbers of those who regularly trampled my scores with High Standard & Colt auto 22s. Then I had to admit they were simply better targeteers. One particular pleasure was a long lean fellow in an old air force shirt with a pre war Colt Ace who showed them all regularly what his idea of performance was....but you hardly ever seen and Ace in action anywhere these days.

My comments are not bashing anything, simply reporting personal preferences.
Smith N frames of all calibers satisfy my needs, in ways the Colt Anaconda never did.
Eventually my pocketbook became leaner and I began noticing the virtues of Smith.
Their revolvers from the 50s & 60s swarmed my bench & I developed a kind of appreciation for their virtues and relative simplicity of slicking them up when needed. I still haven't found a Smith auto that I actually care enough to buy. YMMV of course.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top