JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I I mean my friend :rolleyes: acquired a one of these.
Having done my I mean his research came across this as a good reliable firearm.
But having not used this model before, reviews seem good but was curious what you all thought.
Purpose is for a reliable back up firearm in vehicle, and extra side arm when applicable, when used with a semi-auto 9mm.
Its the exact condition as this pic without the wood handles. 6459501_01_s_w_586_6__640.jpg
( not actual pics but is the same as mentioned.)

I had one and I thought it was an excellent firearm I used it as trade bait as I had a friend that lived out in Mist and there family was having a bit of hard time. I figured that if they could get a deer or elk it would help them out and it did. Traded the revolver for a nice savage made by Sile in Italy in 30-06. It did help them out as she got a deer and a elk that year.

The revolver is a very dependable and honestly other than trade value I would rather have one of these than the fancier revolvers ( python ) for use because you don't have to baby it. To me it is much more rugged though not as refined.

Those grips ought to be switched out for some Pachmayr's . Those just won't do for a truck gun. Send them to me and I'll send you a pair I have that will fit it that I have in the closet. :rolleyes: :D

Those grips ought to be switched out for some Pachmayr's . Those just won't do for a truck gun. Send them to me and I'll send you a pair I have that will fit it that I have in the closet. :rolleyes: :D

It actually has a pair on them, thats the only way to go with these :D

All my Smith's wear pachmyars and that includes the 3rd gen pistols. I simply like the feel and I believe they help me shoot better even if it is all mental.

I love older Smith guns that have been taken care. I don't think you can go wrong with them. One of my favorites models is heavy barreled 4" model 10. I have others right now but no model 10. I have had 3 in my lifetime. A model 24 is also on my short list.

A great gun to be sure. I would love to own one again.
However for your purpose with a 9mm companion piece, I would prefer a model 547. Keeping caliber consistent for carry is a kind of a thing to me. Otherwise have at it!

Just a thought on this. With good condition Smith's doing nothing but going up in value, there may come a time when using it as a truck gun may not be a great idea.
When I hear the term "truck gun", I think of something that is serviceable and reliable, but also won't be a big loss when it is subjected to rattling around in a vehicle as a backup..

A great gun to be sure. I would love to own one again.
However for your purpose with a 9mm companion piece, I would prefer a model 547. Keeping caliber consistent for carry is a kind of a thing to me. Otherwise have at it!

I wasn't able to find any that were 9mm without moon clips, I really hate the idea of moon clips and have used them not a fan.. not sure if the 547 uses those ?

Might want to consider a Blackhawk convertible 357/9mm. Or even an SP-101 in 9mm

Seeing as how a 6" 586 or 686 can run up to around $800, I'd look for a different 'truck gun.'

I'm in the market for one or preferably a 686. I had one yrs ago that was engraved "San Diego Sheriff Dept"
but traded it for something that evidently was awesome as I can't even remember what it was. :(

The barrel is a little long for those purposes... I would consider the 9mm a back up if I had this with me.

Also, they're all right about it being an expensive piece for your friend's purposes.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews