JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I I mean my friend :rolleyes: acquired a one of these.
Having done my I mean his research came across this as a good reliable firearm.
But having not used this model before, reviews seem good but was curious what you all thought.
Purpose is for a reliable back up firearm in vehicle, and extra side arm when applicable, when used with a semi-auto 9mm.
Its the exact condition as this pic without the wood handles. 6459501_01_s_w_586_6__640.jpg
( not actual pics but is the same as mentioned.)

I had one and I thought it was an excellent firearm I used it as trade bait as I had a friend that lived out in Mist and there family was having a bit of hard time. I figured that if they could get a deer or elk it would help them out and it did. Traded the revolver for a nice savage made by Sile in Italy in 30-06. It did help them out as she got a deer and a elk that year.

The revolver is a very dependable and honestly other than trade value I would rather have one of these than the fancier revolvers ( python ) for use because you don't have to baby it. To me it is much more rugged though not as refined.

Those grips ought to be switched out for some Pachmayr's . Those just won't do for a truck gun. Send them to me and I'll send you a pair I have that will fit it that I have in the closet. :rolleyes: :D

Those grips ought to be switched out for some Pachmayr's . Those just won't do for a truck gun. Send them to me and I'll send you a pair I have that will fit it that I have in the closet. :rolleyes: :D

It actually has a pair on them, thats the only way to go with these :D

All my Smith's wear pachmyars and that includes the 3rd gen pistols. I simply like the feel and I believe they help me shoot better even if it is all mental.

I love older Smith guns that have been taken care. I don't think you can go wrong with them. One of my favorites models is heavy barreled 4" model 10. I have others right now but no model 10. I have had 3 in my lifetime. A model 24 is also on my short list.

A great gun to be sure. I would love to own one again.
However for your purpose with a 9mm companion piece, I would prefer a model 547. Keeping caliber consistent for carry is a kind of a thing to me. Otherwise have at it!

Just a thought on this. With good condition Smith's doing nothing but going up in value, there may come a time when using it as a truck gun may not be a great idea.
When I hear the term "truck gun", I think of something that is serviceable and reliable, but also won't be a big loss when it is subjected to rattling around in a vehicle as a backup..

A great gun to be sure. I would love to own one again.
However for your purpose with a 9mm companion piece, I would prefer a model 547. Keeping caliber consistent for carry is a kind of a thing to me. Otherwise have at it!

I wasn't able to find any that were 9mm without moon clips, I really hate the idea of moon clips and have used them not a fan.. not sure if the 547 uses those ?

Might want to consider a Blackhawk convertible 357/9mm. Or even an SP-101 in 9mm

Seeing as how a 6" 586 or 686 can run up to around $800, I'd look for a different 'truck gun.'

I'm in the market for one or preferably a 686. I had one yrs ago that was engraved "San Diego Sheriff Dept"
but traded it for something that evidently was awesome as I can't even remember what it was. :(

The barrel is a little long for those purposes... I would consider the 9mm a back up if I had this with me.

Also, they're all right about it being an expensive piece for your friend's purposes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top