JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm doing some research on my old carry revolver; its a S&W 442-1 air weight in satin nickel SN puts production in january of 1996, right before they changed the satin nickel ones to the 642's. also the 1996's passed the 5000 round +p test, so it can shoot +p but it's not stamped as so. I've determined its a "short run" model, but thats all I can learn about it. SN starts with "CAF", anyone out there tell me any more about it? # like this produced? Rarity? Value? I can't find any on the market to compare it to. Thanks in advance.

IMG_3685.JPG

IMG_3684.JPG

I owned a 1996 Bodyguard (642 with the hammer shroud), satin nickel. I called the factory and was told it was mfg in 1996 which was the transition time when they started manufacturing for +p loads. Mine is not stamped +p either. They told me it would be fine to shoot with +p loads "occasionally, but not for a steady diet".
Semper Fi

Conrad,

Hey, I found this forum/thread while searching for info about the 442-1 satin nickel.

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson by Nahas and Supica (Third Edition), "A small quantity of transition frames are found with the new frame size , but with the old style thumbpiece and satin nickel finish; manufactured in late 1996." Smith deleted satin nickel finish in 1997 and started using MIM triggers. There are very few 442-1 in satin nickel, old thumbpiece, forged parts, etc.

I bought a 442-1 in satin nickel today. BUHXXXX serial number range. Was just looking for other examples.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top