JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm doing some research on my old carry revolver; its a S&W 442-1 air weight in satin nickel SN puts production in january of 1996, right before they changed the satin nickel ones to the 642's. also the 1996's passed the 5000 round +p test, so it can shoot +p but it's not stamped as so. I've determined its a "short run" model, but thats all I can learn about it. SN starts with "CAF", anyone out there tell me any more about it? # like this produced? Rarity? Value? I can't find any on the market to compare it to. Thanks in advance.

IMG_3685.JPG

IMG_3684.JPG

I owned a 1996 Bodyguard (642 with the hammer shroud), satin nickel. I called the factory and was told it was mfg in 1996 which was the transition time when they started manufacturing for +p loads. Mine is not stamped +p either. They told me it would be fine to shoot with +p loads "occasionally, but not for a steady diet".
Semper Fi

Conrad,

Hey, I found this forum/thread while searching for info about the 442-1 satin nickel.

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson by Nahas and Supica (Third Edition), "A small quantity of transition frames are found with the new frame size , but with the old style thumbpiece and satin nickel finish; manufactured in late 1996." Smith deleted satin nickel finish in 1997 and started using MIM triggers. There are very few 442-1 in satin nickel, old thumbpiece, forged parts, etc.

I bought a 442-1 in satin nickel today. BUHXXXX serial number range. Was just looking for other examples.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top