JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is it spendy to get started from scratch

$300 OTD for me. I already had the brass. Gets you a press and a die set of your choice. Add in $20 for powder and whatever you want to spend in projectiles. Not that bad. I've had my press for only a year now and I've loaded 5000 rounds in that time for about half of what I would have paid retail. That's why your brass is sought after.

This is a perfect post to hijack. I'm also shooting alot of .40 S&W and am wondering if it makes sense to get into reloading. I dont have alot ot of spare time to spend in the reloading process....

And I'm a businessman... so whats the cost-benefit-analysis say about reloading? i.e., how long will it take to reload..say, 500rds of .40 and how much will it cost?

Thanks!

And I'm a businessman... so whats the cost-benefit-analysis say about reloading? i.e., how long will it take to reload..say, 500rds of .40 and how much will it cost?

The initial cost to purchase a single stage press plus all of the components and tools will push the cost per round to .50-.80 cents depending on your end total. After the first 1-2k rounds your cost per drops by half, or more, of retail. This is from my experience and cost analysis of my particular set up. I've put in about $550US into gear and components and I only load 3 calibres. In 200 more rounds I'll have reached the tipping point and will start seeing the benefit in cost as well as the heightened accuracy tuning rounds for my particular weapons brings.

Edit; After moderate practice I can load 500 rounds in 2 hours. This accounts for case prep, dropping powder, and seating bullets and I'm in no way a pro.

Reloading is a great hobby in its self. You won't save any money because you will shoot twice as much! You will also have the ability to make what you want and match the load to your gun. Get yourself a reloading manual and read it before you get your gear.
Youtube has a few videos on the process if you have never seen it.

Great info guys! 500rds in 2-hours gives me a good idea of the time part of the equation. And only 2k rds to see a significant savings over retail...Thats not bad at all...

I'll keep reading up on it.

Thanks!

With pistol ammo look into a turret press or a progressive press. You'll be able to crank out ammo like crazy. It will take awhile to recoup your initial capital outlay. However, there is something empowering in having all the necessary stuff on hand to "roll your own".

This is a perfect post to hijack. I'm also shooting alot of .40 S&W and am wondering if it makes sense to get into reloading. I dont have alot ot of spare time to spend in the reloading process....

Thanks!

The initial cost to purchase a single stage press plus all of the components and tools will push the cost per round to .50-.80 cents depending on your end total. After the first 1-2k rounds your cost per drops by half, or more, of retail. This is from my experience and cost analysis of my particular set up. I've put in about $550US into gear and components and I only load 3 calibres. In 200 more rounds I'll have reached the tipping point and will start seeing the benefit in cost as well as the heightened accuracy tuning rounds for my particular weapons brings.

Edit; After moderate practice I can load 500 rounds in 2 hours. This accounts for case prep, dropping powder, and seating bullets and I'm in no way a pro.

Great info guys! 500rds in 2-hours gives me a good idea of the time part of the equation. And only 2k rds to see a significant savings over retail...Thats not bad at all...

I'll keep reading up on it.

Thanks!

As you stated, you're a businessman. As such you wouldn't be trying to recoup the initial cost on the first few boxes of ammo but over a several year period of time. If you added up the savings over let's say 5 years, you'll see that the amount can be real eye-opening. With that in mind, don't "think cheap" when getting started. Perhaps buy a single stage which is almost an essential for any beginner and as a "load development tool" for an old timer. Once you have mastered the art of making one round at a time then invest in a setup that will serve your needs trouble free for the duration of your hobby. Make an investment in some equipment that can hold up and produce the quantity/quality of ammo that you will be needing for the peak of your needs, not just when you are starting out. Also, I reload so I can shoot more often and for less money, not so I have something to "tinker" with.

Reloading for pistol allows one to shoot far more for the same amount of money as buying new. More "trigger" time is bound to make one more proficient and if carrying for Self Defense, more effective should that time come.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top