JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
school me on the model 10 vs the model 14. I'm looking at the 10 HB circa 1964 and the 14 from the early 70's. The adjustable rear sight on the 14 has me leaning that way.
Thanks
Both lock up tight

Both are solid revolvers in .38 Special.

I used to carry a Mod 15 Combat Masterpiece, 4", blue, 6 shot, 38 Special....it had the ramped frt sight. The ramped frt sight was a "police thing" for rapid draw. Later in time, the Mod 15s were also available with the red ramp frt sights. Later, we traded in our revolvers for Mod 67s (same revolver only in SS). Yup....Hawaii has rust issues. I kept my Mod 15 until I was forced into a 9mm S&W 5906.

IIRC, the Mod 14 Target Masterpiece had a different frt (partridge?) sight. Otherwise, it was the same as the Mod 15. OK, ok.....maybe barrel length too. But.....Why the big deal about a number change? I don't know. BTW, most of the 2700 Match Target Shooters (that I knew) had already switched over to a semi auto. And, the Mod 14s kind of disappeared from the dealer's shelves in the early 80's (at least in Hawaii).

So, anyway..........I've always found the adjustable rear sight to be useful. Different loads and people see differently. So, if you're looking for that..........yup, pick the Mod 14 (or find a Mod 15).

Next, you'll probably be wanting a K frame Mod 19 (in .357 mag) or Mod 66 (same thing in SS). Or maybe, you'll just skip the K frame .357 mag and go to the L frame Mod 686 in .357 mag?

No doubt.....it's good to have $$$.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
school me on the model 10 vs the model 14. I'm looking at the 10 HB circa 1964 and the 14 from the early 70's. The adjustable rear sight on the 14 has me leaning that way.
Thanks
Both lock up tight

Gosh, until your post I thought I had a pre model 10. Turns out, I guess, that it's a pre model 14 as it has the adjustable rear sight!

Sorry I have nothing to help with your decision. :( Older/newer?....Adjustable/non-adjustable rear sight?

Both are solid revolvers in .38 Special.

Next, you'll probably be wanting a K frame Mod 19 (in .357 mag) or Mod 66 (same thing in SS). Or maybe, you'll just skip the K frame .357 mag and go to the L frame Mod 686 in .357 mag?

Subscribing to this thread. I have a 66 which I love as a range gun (too cheap to buy .357 so just shoot .38 sp) but it's too big and bulky for carry gun. Thinking a J frame with fixed sights for CC.

IMHO

Bigger pistols like a 686 w/6" bbl are more useful (super accurate) with an adjustable patridge sight for target shooting, different loads, distances, etc. Longer sight radius, too.

Small concealed pieces are often carried around for sudden emergency (point and shoot) use at close range. Fewer moving parts (literally) for something that might spend a lot of time rattling around in a holster, glove box, back pack, purse, pocket or such.

Like C-deaf says, get both!

Last Edited:
The S&W 15 combat masterpiece has adjustable sights and more desirable 4" barrel and can still be had for a good price used but are rapidly going up in price now that the model 19 has jumped in price. Or find the Stainless version model 67. the problem with the model 10 is the small non adjustable sights. but they are great for pulling out of a pocket.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top