JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I am getting desperate.

I have a S&W 45cal model 1955 (25-2) which looks to be in excellent condition. While shooting, the pistol will functionally lock up. It is generally not noticed if shooting single action, but in most cases, it will not shoot in double action. The trigger will not budge, and when it does there is a "hard spot" in the pull. Now for the really confusing part. This does not happen when dry firing, with snap-caps, or with spent brass. It only happens AFTER firing a live round, which has made diagnosing the issue incredibly frustrating. The primer/brass is NOT causing the problem and is not contacting the recoil plate. Two recommended gunsmiths have now worked on this pistol without any improvement, although I do not think they ever bothered to test fire it.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there anyone local (Vancouver area) that thinks they can fix this one?

Thanks
JB

I have a S&W 625 that as I shoot it, carbon builds up on the cylinder, and rubs on the barrel. A good cleaning normal takes care of the problem for another box or two of hand loads. If you take it to Shooter Service in Portland and are not in a hurry, John can take care of the problem if it takes more then a little cleaning. Good luck, these are great guns.

I've seen an N frame bind up after firing a number of rounds due to simple heat expansion closing up a very tight cylinder/barrel gap but it doesn't sound like you fired enough to really heat things up. You would have mentioned if it was cutting lead or shaving jackets and I would presume alignment was checked by the g'smiths (I hope). Things like that pretty much require having it in your hands to properly diagnose problems.

Are you shooting reloads?

My 625 will bind a bit when the face of the cylinder gets REALLY dirty and drags
on the barrel---but that takes a couple of hundred rounds.

Had some reloads that didn't burn the powder 100% , if a chunk of unburned powder got
under the star it would bind up.

Another weird one that will bind it up on live ammo. Primer setback---usually seen on really
light loads. Fire a round, and then open the cylinder and see if the primer is still below
flush on the case.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads