JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm traveling with the family this weekend to go see the Redwoods and stopped for lunch yesterday. Had to park on the street with the trailer, wouldn't you know it, right in front of a local gun store. They had a 1917 in the case for sale ($1625). It's overall shape was decent for what they've gone through but does that sound a little high on price? I love history and would like to buy this but not if that price is a bit high. My wife thinks I should, LOL.

Jeez......I had to look up "Santiam Canyon." And then.....if you're talking about Redwoods and a "local store".......I'm assuming CA.

So, NOPE. Not me.

Think of the "extra cost" due to getting the handgun across to OR. And, IMHO......the price is........

1652542379301.png

BTW......when some people say "S&W 1917." It could be meant as, the modern N frame version or those that were originally a WW1 issue.

You mentioned "history." So......I'm guessing that you were talking about the WW1 issue.

But whatever. Up to You.

Aloha, Mark

The first sentence infers to my present whereabouts, LOL. But, yes this is a WW1 era revolver. I'm thinking that the price is a bit high but may make an offer on our way back through.

I was going to say that sounds crazy high to me, but a quick look at Gunbroker shows that the nicer ones are actually selling for that, on Gunbroker. What's the world coming to? :)

(of course we all know that Gunbroker is the highest price that the highest bidder is willing to pay, so that doesn't necessarily mean it's worth that much)

Not all that long ago I would have said, yes, that price is too high, unless there was something else to it. Now? It is not that far off from what I'm seeing classic handguns going for.

I picked one up a couple years ago for $225. It's not a WWI gun, but a 1937 contract gun that S&W made for Brazil. Same gun, and S&W used some leftover WWI parts, but they do go for less than the actual WWI guns.

I love it, shoot it a lot: smooth action, very accurate. I have a lot of S&W revolvers and it's one of my favorites.

Jeez......I had to look up "Santiam Canyon." And then.....if you're talking about Redwoods and a "local store".......I'm assuming CA.

So, NOPE. Not me.

Think of the "extra cost" due to getting the handgun across to OR. And, IMHO......the price is........

View attachment 1198914

BTW......when some people say "S&W 1917." It could be meant as, the modern N frame version or those that were originally a WW1 issue.

You mentioned "history." So......I'm guessing that you were talking about the WW1 issue.

But whatever. Up to You.

Aloha, Mark
I thought everyone knew where the santiam canyon was!! 😆

Here's mine, like I said it's a 1937 Brazil contract gun, but the same gun made in the same factory a few years later. It came with ugly Pachmayr grips that I replaced with some that I made myself for it. It was also missing the lanyard ring, but miraculously I had one in my box of spare gun parts. No idea where it came from, as I'd never had one of these guns before.

IMG_1029[1].jpg

Added: the one on the bottom is "little brother", an I-frame "Regulation Police" .32 S&W Long from the same era.

Last Edited:
Here's mine, like I said it's a 1937 Brazil contract gun, but the same gun made in the same factory but a few years later. It came with ugly Pachmayr grips that I replaced with some that I made myself for it. It was also missing the lanyard ring, but miraculously I had one in my box of spare gun parts. No idea where it came from, as I'd never had one of these guns before.
Dang, you are really making me want to go and make an offer on the one I spotted yesterday. Very nice piece for sure!!!

It's always better to regret the things you have done, than the things you haven't done.
Wow, lots of help here tonight! I've already planned a different route on my way home tomorrow but who knows which direction I'll actually go. There's three routes that are within five minutes of each other, one leads us past that very good lunch spot and gun shop with the 1917. I'll sleep on it, more like pass out, LOL. Been by the campfire with my cooler for the last couple hours!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top