Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

S n W cheifs special Cs 40 need advice!

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by glockguy, Mar 2, 2010.

1. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

I was curious if anyone has one or has shot one. I love the size and looks of it. But I couldn't find if its dao or double single does anyone know? Its a toss up between this or the new taurus pt 709.

2. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

My cs9 is double/single

3. plinkerneil

plinkerneil Oregon New Member

Almost all of them are DA/SA. A few DAO conversions are probably floating around--they were marketed almost solely to police departments. Smith & Wesson, or one of their service centers, will convert it to DAO for you if you want. I've even heard of people having the hammer changed out to a spurred hammer at the Smith factory.

4. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

The Chiefs Special or M36 is a DA revolver. A DAO would be a mod after leaving the factory.

5. plinkerneil

plinkerneil Oregon New Member

6. jughead666

jughead666 Elgin, IL New Member

The S&W Model 36 was a true .38 special that was DA/SA with the cock of the hammer. The S&W Model 40 was the DAO hammerless snubby that still was a great wheel gun. I personally love the classic Model 36 but if you buy an older gun, you cannot shoot +P loads. If you buy a newly remade Model 36 from S&W you can shoot +P loads. As in regards to the Taurus, the best advice I was ever given was to if possible, test fire a gun that your interested in buying before you buy it, Its an entirely different story once theres a round in the pipe and it goes bang. If it wasnt for that advice I could have made several $500 mistakes. Good luck with your choice.

7. glockguy

Well I put One On layaway... hopefully i'll end up liking it.. if not.. u will see it on this site very soon! lol

8. I can't speak for the cs 40 but I have 2 cs 45s and love them. I bought the first "blue" and liked it so well I bought a second "stainless" Very acurate for a compact with no muzzle flip. I hoped you checked out the grips. They are a love or hate thing, very thick. I love mine drop the pinky below. I use a kramer IWB great carry combo. Mine are both are DA/SA but seems like most of the 40's I've seen are DAO. I'd love to pick a 9 and a 40 to have set.

9. glockguy

Yes the one i found has a very think grip.. But i think its something i can get used to. it was only 399 and it is DA/SA

10. I think that a good price at least around here (tn) The last one I saw local the guy asking $525 a DOA with no box. I think that was little high. Be sure and let us know how you like it. Hopefully you be pleasantly surprised with it I know I was. I have several compact 45's and this is one of my favorites. I can't see how the 40 would be different maybe better because recoil. Like I said I'd like to have one. congrats

11. glockguy

Well I assume its DA/SA is there a way to tell with out firing it? I have it on layaway right now.. With the hammer it cocked it goes in the really short trigger pull and with its uncocked it goes into the long hard pull... the trigger can be pulled in both positions of the hammer.. Iv only had one DAO gun and forgot how it worked.. I know i just hated it..

12. I'm no expert but it sounds like a DA/SA. I was wrong about the pricing on the 40 over here he was asking $550 instead of $525 and he was pretty firm because I contacted him. Makes yours look even better doesn't it. This one had the big dog grips on it. Frankly I like the orginal ones better, but is an option for something different.

13. glockguy

Well honestly Iv looked for grips on line for it and cant find any.. Id really like some houge grips.

14. I think the orginal thick grips that come on it are hogue. The "big dogs" i mentioned are the guy "cuts down I think" 3rd gen S&W grips to fit the CS9, CS40 and CS45, I have a S&W 457 which has the orginal grip before he modifys it. Its the hard plastic version. Honestly I like the thick hogues better. Some say the hogues hurts your concelment because it a little bigger and you shirt tends to hang on it a little. If you want to see them do a google search on "delrin grips" or "big dog grips"

15. glockguy

well ima go in and get er tomorrow after work.. hopefully shes a winner lol